How to use external compressor with Zed10FX

Forums Forums Other A&H products How to use external compressor with Zed10FX

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Liinmo Liinmo 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Hi all, I do a weekly live radio show and I want to level up the output of my Zed10FX so it is even for broadcast. I want to be able to send the outgoing signal to a compressor but it does not have send and returns. I have looked in the manual and it states that there is a specific cable used for this. What I don’t understand is that my compressor (Behringer MDX2200) has 2 inputs and 2 outputs, so in a standard application from a traditional desk I would use 2 x mono jack cables to send to the compressor and 2 to return. The Zed10FX only has Main Mix insert L/R. I have attached the cable detailed in the manual but I cannot understand how this works. If someone can help me as I’m a bit of a dummy with this! Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@steve

An insert cable like the one shown has a single TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) jack at one end, with one ground connection, one send connection and one return connection.
    At the other end there are two jacks, one for send and one for return.
    So the insert sockets on ZED’s (and most mixers), including the ZED10FX are like an output and an input socket in one.

The cables are quite common, though not always labelled as insert cables, often as 1x stereo 1/4″ jack to 2x mono 1/4″ jacks
    It’s the Tip which is the send and the Ring which is the return, so if you do get a cable that’s usually used for stereo jack to mono Left and Right Jacks, it’s the left jack that’s the send which should go to the input of external equipment and the right jack which is the return and should be connected to the output of external equipment.
    Note that the signal is unbalanced.

Hope this helps!
    Keith.

Profile photo of Kita
    Kita
    Participant

@keith
    I put electric guitars to Mic input socket (XLR) and insert cable as your suggestion to compressor it’s not working suspect as figure show in attach file any comment ?

Many thank.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Kita

The original post is about the ZED-10FX which has insert points for the main LR mix to allow things like compressors or GEQ’s to be inserted across everything.
    However, the image you’ve attached is from the ZEDi user guide and the ZEDi does not feature these insert points.

The smallest A&H mixers with per-channel insert points to allow a compressor to be inserted on individual mono channels are the ZED 2-bus series, so the ZED-14 or ZED-12FX for example.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Liinmo
    Liinmo
    Participant

You can use a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) cable to connect the Main Mix insert L/R of your Zed10FX to the inputs of your compressor. Then, connect the outputs of the compressor back to your Zed10FX. This setup should allow you to route the outgoing signal to the compressor for leveling up before broadcast. If you need further assistance, feel free to ask!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.