How to set up Effects properly on QU-24?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions How to set up Effects properly on QU-24?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mjjohn
    mjjohn
    Participant

Just want to see if i am getting this right or if I am doing it Wrong. Right Now I can hear both effects coming through(LR), but I am not really satisfied with how it sounds. We have a Lexicon MX-200 hooked up to our trusty GL-2200 and it produces much better reverb and delay effects.

I have: Delay on FX-1 and Reverb On FX-2 as MIX->Returns

So Here is the part that I am confused about:

When I am on Top Layer(not the Channel Layer) under the LR mix I get that the FX-1&2 returns(Fader # 4&5) should be at unity.
    But Lets say I am on the same layer but now I choose FX1 Mix, Should Both returns for FX-1&2(Fader # 4&5) Be at Unity or just FX1 at unity and FX2 Be at infinity? and vise-versa when I am under FX2 Mix?

Is it a good idea to EQ the effects using the Parametric EQ? Also I would really appreciate if anyone can post their settings for Reverb and Delay, even better if you can post the actual file for the Effects.

ELI5 what is HF Decay, HF slope, LF & HF Cut for SMR reverb and Input Filters and Feedback Filter for 2 Tap Delay.

I am looking for a lush reverb but not too intrusive, this is for a rectangular hall that seats about 300 people, with heavy carpet.

Sorry for all the noob question but i really will be appreciative of anyone that can help me – John

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I normally leave the FX sends at unity, the FX return levels kind of depend
    one how much overall FX level you want mixed back into the main mix.

On the main mix layer select the FX channel you want to use and then bring up
    the fader on the channels you want to add that FX to in proportion to how much you want
    to add.

You want to make sure that you are not returning the FX back into it self, if you select an FX mix and your on the master send and returns layer you can turn up an FX return and send it back into it self. As a safe guard I have the FX mix sends all turned off on the FX returns, open up the routing menus and will make more sense when you see it.

When you have the FX opened look under the library button for more choices.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

When I am on Top Layer(not the Channel Layer) under the LR mix I get that the FX-1&2 returns(Fader # 4&5) should be at unity.

Nope. Use the return faders to get the best mix of dry:wet signal. It’ll start sounding better right away. Sends can be set/forget, but the returns should be used for envelope control.

Learning to roll your own reverbs can be interesting and fun. Probably the easiest parameter to begin with is decay, i.e. the length of the tail. Next would be depth.
    Find some settings you like and save them to the user library.

But first off, drop those returns until it has a better sounding balance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.