How to send mix?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions How to send mix?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of livesound
    livesound
    Participant

I have a QU-16 and have this question. I want to have 8 channels for vocals and 8 channels for instruments. I want to then send the vocals to one mix and the instruments to another mix and then send them both to main mix. I want to be able to adjust volume of both the vocals and instruments independently then send to main to adjust main speakers for total volume. This way if I need to raise the vocals up one fader will raise all vocals. Can this be done on the QU-16? If so how? I must be missing something in the manual.
    Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

One option is to wait for v1.5, which apparently has DCAs for the whole Qu range.

As the Qu16 doesn’t have dedicated subgroups, Plan B is to use your mixes as subgroups, and return them to the stereo inputs.

Un-assign ch 1-16 from LR.
    Assign your vox channels to a stereo mix (eg mix5-6) post fader at unity, effectively using the mix as a subgroup.
    Assign your drums to another stereo bus (eg mix7-8.)
    Run cables out of the physical XLR outputs of these mixes into the TRS sockets of two of your stereo inputs (eg mix5-6 to st1, mix7-8 to st2.)
    St1 is now your vox master, St2 is now your instruments master. Ensure St1 and St2 are assigned to LR.
    As long as you’ve got channel faders up, the mix5-8 masters up, the St1+St2 faders up and the LR fader up you should hear sound.

Be aware of your panning: you have to do it in the mix rather than the LR pan.
    Be aware of where your fx returns are routed and whether raising St1/St2 will affect the dry sound or both dry and wet sound.

HTH

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

what Cornelius said 🙂
    Dan

<youtube>vh5JuxsLdx0</youtube>

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant
    Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.