How to run a separate board for live stream mix

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions How to run a separate board for live stream mix

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonathan
    Jonathan
    Participant

Good afternoon,

I am currently running a s7000 for live production, and we are sending an aux out for our live stream. We would like to set up a separate mixer just for the video stream to be run by a separate operator. I have done this in the past by using Y cables to simply split the feed before reaching the board and running the two boards independently. However, with the ethernet snake, how is this done? If I use an ethernet splitter, would this send a raw feed to both boards for independent mixing? Would I need something like a C1500 to mix the livestream, or would the ethernet be compatible with other brands? Is the I/O unique to Allen and Heath S and C series?

Thanks for any advice and help you can offer. We want to run the two boards independent of each-other, so no AUX or group sends will work… we will send the feed to a separate room with a separate video switcher to produce the live stream. Just need to figure out the best way to send the digital snake to two boards at the same time.

Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

So have you considered just using a computer with the editor program in the remote room to control the aux mix.
    We can do the same thing with our “simulcast” overflow room when needed.

Otherwise you are going to do a digital split, and buy a some more hardware. Others can chime in on exactly what you would need to accomplish it with the dLive environment.

Jonathan
    Participant

Yes, but we want to eliminate the chance of errors from operators accessing the house mix. If we give remote access to the main board fron the computer, they can accidentally mess up our very complex house mix… our desire is to run a separate board, independent of the main board.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Why not use a S-link card in your MixRack? Connect the streaming board of your desire to that card. Only use digital trim on that streaming board to not interfere your house mix.
    Dependent on where you want to stream to, it might be necessary to implement another card to convert the stream to the format of choice (MADI, Dante,…)

Profile photo of JLD
    JLD
    Participant

How many inputs do you use?
    If below 64, make a digital split and you can have 2 independent mixers in one rack

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

The most flexible solution with the least dependencies between live and broadcast setup is to use analog splits. Only the setup of phantom power has to be done by only one console, the rest is independent.with all other, digital, split solutions you have to deal with gain sharing and stuff like this.

Profile photo of LBET
    LBET
    Participant

I was just thinking about this today. I think we are going to use a Dante solution. DVSC running on a laptop with Logic or Protools will be able to pickup all of the outputs from the stage box without impact FOH. Once mixed we can send a stereo pair back to the FOH console that can then be sent to the aux mix used by our streaming box.

It’s much cheaper and more portable that a separate board for us.

Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

Just don’t forget that your Dante signals will still be subjected to any gain settings/changes for FOH.

Profile photo of MVickery
    MVickery
    Participant

As others have suggested, a Dante card will facilitate a digital split, but so would a gigaACE card, or a Waves card. It really depends on your needs as to which one would be best suited for you.
    In order to keep broadcast and FOH from interfering with each other you can utilize the user roles that split access to scenes and other resources. Depending on what you chose to do, gain sharing is an important feature that can keep two users of a MixRack from causing each other unnecessary grief.

Jonathan
    Participant

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help and wisdom.

Jonathan
    Participant

I am leaning to the gigaAce port. On the spec sheet it says we can run independent with a separate DLive or Avantis system… we do not need that much power for our live stream board. Is a SQ board compatible. I have seen mix reviews, but the most recent seem to show that if I run out from my DLive gigaACE port, I can run into the S-Link on a QU and be good to mix the audio and send out from the SQ to our livestream. If I can spend 3K on a SQ board instead of 8-9K on the other, that would be great. The routing process is simple enough, just like our m1’s, but will it communicate correctly?

Jonathan
    Participant

Just to give some context too… here are some photos of my AV room set-up… I am running the DLive S7000 for FOH and my control room is sending from these racks, using 2 DX32s and a DX64… in addition to our M1 system… I do have a Dante card that I can route the secondary feed to my ethernet distributer. I also have the gigaACE card on the 64, and a card on the S7000 surface… so, I am thinking I will get a SQ and run the livestream from that board. I can patch it in in the balcony or build a secondary location as a livestream broadcast room. Thanks again!

Jonathan
    Participant

Corrected file size 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Is a SQ board compatible.

It depends on the channel count. If you can live with 48 Channels of the SQ you can use a GigaACE card in your Mixrack and connect the SQ S-Link port to that card.
    I use this configuration sometimes wit an SQ6 and a CDM32( plus one or two DX168/X) where the SQ is for Monitor and the dLive for FOH. But again, the same constraint as always with connection in the digital domain, both consoles will share the same Gain.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

and I would suggest a SQ-6 or SQ-7
    since you have many inputs to mix it would be better to have more faders for the broadcast mix

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.