How to patch a serial effect unit

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions How to patch a serial effect unit

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GR-PDX GR-PDX 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I’m trying to understand how to patch in a serial effects unit like a de-esser, and ply the effect to only a few channels. Other mixers I’ve used allowed me to patch internally, but I’m not clear on how that might be done with the Qu.

Any help is appreciated!

Profile photo of HansvdL
    HansvdL
    Participant

Are you referring to one of the internal effects units, or to an external effects unit?

For the internal effects units, you can use the FX1 or FX2 bus (or even one of the mono mix buses) to send the desired channels to the effects unit, and switch off the channels in the main LR mix (if I understand correctly what you mean by “serial effects unit”). The effect return can then be sent to main LR (100% wet).

For an external effects unit, I think you would have to use one of the mono or stereo mix buses and corresponding outputs to send the channel mix to the effects unit, and use one of the inputs (probably a stereo input) to feed the return signal to main LR. In this case you should also switch off the channels in the main LR mix, so you hear only the effect return (100% wet).
    As far as I know, Qu-16 will not let you patch insert points to physical outputs/inputs. Each connector on the back has a fixed dedicated role, similar to what an analog console would provide.

To switch a channel on or off in a mix, select the mix, then hold down Assign and press Select for the desired channel(s). The channel fader will still control any post-fader effect sends, so you can control the level into the effects units.

I hope this helps.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Unfortunately, yes that helps. I was talking about an external unit, since A&H doesn’t let us use the GLD’s de-esser. I’ve got one vocalist who is remarkably sibilant in our band.

I was hoping for a solution that was a bit more elegant.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.