How to fine tune PEQ gain?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions How to fine tune PEQ gain?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 1000Keys
    1000Keys
    Participant

The master strip gain knobs as well as the touch screen value knob do change my Qu-16’s PEQ gain only in steps of 0.4 or 0.5dB. Is there a way to change the value by 0.1dB steps, or at least to reset the gain value to 0dB for a certain freq? I can only get e.g. -0.3dB or +0.1dB.
    Additional question: Would setting the gain of one freq band in PEQ to 0dB result in switching off this freq-band completely (as per bypass)?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I’m not sure exactly what the problem is. Any change of less than 1dB should be sufficient for use. It takes a change of 3dB to be really audible. And I would venture that PEQ filter width is more critical than simple level.

And yes, setting a band flat (0) is essentially a “bypass” of that band as long as no other band is over-lapping.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

I don’t know of a way to make the value change by 0.1dB steps, but you can at least reset the gains back to zero by resetting the channel. While on the processing screen for the channel in question, press and hold RESET and then press the SELECT button for that channel. This resets all of the processing, (i.e., HPF, EQ, Gate, Comp, etc.) to factory default, but for that channel only.

The result is…all EQ gains go back to zero dB.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

If you just want to reset the EQ and save your other settings, press and hold “reset” and then press the EQ in/out button on the board. The Qu-pad app has a “reset” tab on the screen.

Profile photo of 1000Keys
    1000Keys
    Participant

I just wondered because it feels somehow odd not to be able to set a value to 0dB with the value knobs on a modern digital device.
    Resetting the PEQ with [reset] + [PEQ IN] does the job for me anyhow, so thanks for your answers! Resolved!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Never bothered if EQ gain properly returns to 0.0dB on analogue consoles, I do not intend to start doing this just because I have a digital desk… 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.