How to control monitor and headphone volume?

Forums Forums Other A&H products How to control monitor and headphone volume?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JacobBaker JacobBaker 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of elm
    elm
    Participant

Hello,

Ordered 12FX today. Connected my JBL monitors via XLR output and headphone via 3.5MM output.
    How can I mute my monitors while using headphone? I turn-down both faders from right bottom corner for monitor out, turn-ed on headphone knob, but I can not hear my headphone while main faders are down.
    Btw: currently my computer is connected via 1/4 Stereo input.
    Also, why there are 2 faders for monitor channels? Monitors are stereo and I really don’t need to control my monitors with left/right channels, we have to set faders to same posician/level every time for best sounding.

Thank you.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

How long are the cable runs to you monitors?

If there not too long you could connect the monitors using the ALT OUT, they are an
    RCA jack.

The ALT OUT has a separate level control independent of the main faders.

Profile photo of elm
    elm
    Participant

They are not far.
    But there is no an other way am I right? I have to hear headphone and monitors together every time?
    If I have to use above recommendation, I have to buy RCA to XLR cable for my monitors.
    Also, is there any differences between 12Fx, 16FX and 22FX except mono channel count?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The outputs are the same on all of those mixers.

To have level control of the monitors and not change the headphone level
    using the ALT OUT is bout the only way.

What JBL monitors do you have, do they have a 1/4″ input jack?

Profile photo of elm
    elm
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for all information that you provided, I saw power of the A&H community at the first day.
    They are JBL LRS 305, yes they have 1/4 connector.

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

I would get an external volume control, I use the TC Electronics one which I have had in the warehouse for ages, XLR inputs and XLR outputs, very simple very basic and just works great. I believe they are around the £40 (UK Sterling) mark but not sure, as I said I have had this one for absolutely years. Still very useful though.
    TC Volume control

Profile photo of maksimkrutoy
    maksimkrutoy
    Participant

thanks for the advice, it was useful to me too. guys who can edit such sites – www?

Profile photo of JacobBaker
    JacobBaker
    Participant

Yep it seems like buying an external tool is the way to go, but it is what it is.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.