How to connect a turntable?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions How to connect a turntable?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DoctorG DoctorG 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of donsilakis
    donsilakis
    Participant

What would be the best way to connect a turntable to mixer? Do I need an external phono preamp? Or can I use the preamps of the mixer?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You’re going to need a proper phono preamp if it’s to sound any good. Some more modern turntables appear to have these built in now.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Yeh– you need a a phono stage — the signals from a cartridge are very low and need special RIAA equalisation. In fact ideally you need to match them to the type of cartridge you are using (moving magnet or coil). You can buy phono stages separately or, as Mark says, they do come built in to some turntables. Most higher end older pre-amps would have a phono stage.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You can buy a turntable with USB output. I have one for ripping LP’s directly into my computer.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’ve got one too, and while the A/D may be good enough, the mechanical parts are shockingly bad.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Previous entries have answered your question. One key thing to know is that RIAA equalization is required for a phono cartridge.

I’m not sure what you are planning to do, but perhaps just DJ work. However, if you want to get rid of some of the noise – click, pops, some hiss – usually heard on LPs, for archive purposes, you may want to use a computer with software that has noise reduction capability. There are several programs just for this sort of thing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.