How To – Add FX?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions How To – Add FX?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ryan Ryan 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JCC
    JCC
    Participant

I am using a QU-16. We have separate output to an iMac running Logic Pro for recording, and to house speakers. This way I can control them separately. I would like to add some reverb ONLY to the computer for recording, not the house speakers. I was able to figure out how to use “INSERT” to add reverb EVERYWHERE, but it doesn’t sound good on the house speakers.

I’m trying to follow the user manual and other online guides, but can’t find anything that explains the process in steps/language that I am able to follow. I know computers, but much of the lingo used in this area is foreign to me.

Are there any very basic step by step guides out there that explain the process for this without using too much lingo?

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

How do you have the computer hooked up (USB connection to the board, XLR outputs to some other capture interface, etc)? Are you using one of the other mixes on the board for sending to the recording?

If you’re using a separate mix, you can adjust the return level for the audio from an effect on a per-mix basis — on the FX backpanel make sure the FX is set to “Unassigned” instead of “Insert” (might also be possible to use the to Ch(annel) or to Mix options depending on your set up). Then turn the FX return going to LR down all the way, and for other mixes on the board, bring the FX return level up — depending on the settings on the board you may also need to tweak the routing for the FX return and set it to on/off for the mixes you want it sent to.

Here’s a (very) quick screencap (with some terrible text descriptions from the not-so-great iMovie iPad app, no audio) from the iPad app which sorta follows the process that you’d follow on the board (getting to the on/off for the routing on a physical board will be the part that is the most different): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzs86vSscC0

Profile photo of JCC
    JCC
    Participant

Yes. Qu-16 to iMac via USB.
    LR is routed to the iMac for recording. (this is where I wanted to add FX)
    Mix10 is routed to house speakers.

I think the part I’m missing how to accomplish is how to turn the FX return going to a channel up/down. I’m not sure how to translate that to buttons/sliders. I haven’t watched the video just yet, but will be doing so shortly. That may clear that all up.
    Thanks!

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

On the iPad app screen recording, the buttons on the right side correspond to the mix/fx select buttons on the right of the physical board. The ones on the left side of the app are like picking a layer button on the left side of the board — with fx returns being on the top layer of a physical board.

I think the routing on/off with the physical board can be done by selecting the fx master fader then hitting the routing button next to the screen, then changing mix sends.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.