How do we know which Monitor ports have already been patched?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions How do we know which Monitor ports have already been patched?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

On the SQ6, as I’m looking at I/O -> Outputs, I have 4 options (Direct / Mix / Rack / Monitor).

As I am considering where I want Talkback to go, when I tap “Monitor” I see some options (PAFL L/R | Listen L/R/M | Talkback).

Naturally I want to send Talkback to the ME-U but there doesn’t seem to be a way to see whether or not a particular ME-U slot has already been allocated to a slot in the IP Direct Outputs without making a note of it by switching back to the IP Direct Outputs to see which ones are already assigned.

The talent freaks out when we re-assign things ;).

So that brings up two question, semi-related:

Question 1: Is there a way to see which slots are already assigned?
    Question 2: In what type of scenario would one use the PAFL monitor routing feature?
    Question 3: What are the “Listen L/R/M” channels and when would those be used?

Thanks!

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

Hmm…maybe I’ve found a bug.

I just selected channel 40 in the Monitor output routing for the Talkback channel and the channel number header turned dark gray. So, I checked the IP Direct Outputs button and although all of the channels we need patched are patched, none of the tabs are dark…

…unless I unpatch and re-patch them.

So then I shut the board down just to see what would happen.

When I go to I/O -> Outputs -> IP Direct Outputs -> ME again I see all of the patching squares, but none of them are dark gray. They’re all gray. Then, if I switch to Monitor Out they’re all still light gray, so there’s no indication that any are already reserved (which is what I’m assuming the dark gray is for.)

When I move to any of the other destinations long the top, Local, etc., they’re all dark gray. I’m probably missing something.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hey @arretx,

Question 1: Is there a way to see which slots are already assigned?

Yes- as in your follow-up post, used sockets should be indicated by the colour of the socket number. So that may indeed be a bug and we’ll take a look.

Question 2: In what type of scenario would one use the PAFL monitor routing feature?

This is identical to the signal going to the headphone output and most engineers I’ve spoken with who use it have it feeding a wireless IEM system to allow totally free movement when operating the console remotely via MixPad. There is no control over level, but usually there is a level control on the pack. You could also use it if you wanted a PAFL feed available on stage for similar reasons and would then connect to a headphone amp (again with separate level control)

Question 3: What are the “Listen L/R/M” channels and when would those be used?

This is best explained by first looking at the block diagram in the reference guide here – https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_5_0.pdf#page=109&zoom=auto,-361,484
    It’s a simple bus which is fed from the PAFL but includes a gain stage that can also be controlled by the master fader – https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_5_0.pdf#page=85&zoom=auto,-361,573
    There is also an external input for this bus that’s not affected by the gain stage which is intended for communication use between mix positions (e.g. for the FoH engineer to talk with the monitor engineer).
    The stereo or mono outputs from the listen bus can then be patched to IEM or stereo/mono monitoring speakers.
    It’s mostly useful in studio/recording/monitoring situations, though I’m sure engineers have found other uses for it too.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.