High Latency QU16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions High Latency QU16

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Aaronious Aaronious 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Aaronious
    Aaronious
    Participant

Hi,
    I tried tuning PA system with SMAART using the QU16 as audio interface, routed and used input 2 as Pre L for reference. When using delay finder, it shows up with 9ms delay. I thought that it was a bit high so used the LEFT out on ALT and looped it back to input 2 and the delay is now 13ms. Now everything is set to Post Preamp, no processings internaly so why is the delay time so high patching either way? I can start hearing latencies over 7ms when playing edrums so 9ms is way too high. Just wondering if I’m routing the loopback correctly that way as SMAART measurements seem ok and the measuring mic in front of speakers are only reading 3m, that’s 3x less than the Reference.
    Thanks for your help

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

You don’t happen tohave the channel delay switched in have you ?

Giga

Aaronious
    Participant

No I don’t think so. I started SMAART measurement with a fresh scene so everything should be default. Only I changed was ALT out to preEQ. I also muted all FX busses to make sure.

Profile photo of Badger
    Badger
    Participant

The other delay feature is the one on the solo bus (for when you’re using headphones at the desk meters out front from the stage)

Aaronious
    Participant

Hi Badger,

I’m not routing anything to the headphone solo bus. Besides, the Post Preamp Alt-Out is looped back with TRS cable and delay was 13ms. I don’t see how this is possible because edrum modules are no where near QU16 quality but latency is well below 3ms. It’s weird when I patched mix busses to input 2 to to flatten out the monitors, delay was 6ms. It’s not much but 3ms difference is a lot for live sound. Did the impulse response test using SMAART signal generator gave me 0 delays but any patching on the console gave high latency.

Aaronious
    Participant

I’m so sorry guys, the latency was 0.9ms and not 9ms. My bad ☺️

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Dooooh! [forehead slap]

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Thank god you were aaronious !

Aaronious
    Participant

Haha, still have a question regarding tuning the PA. Do I measure one side or both at same time and should I position the mic at ear level or on the ground. I get prety good readings at ear level with the mic closer to the speaker but once I move further away, the results went all wild with bad coherence. Aslo, should I measure the subs and tops separately or both at the same time.
    Had a prety decent sounding system before when I tuned by ear but since I played around with SMAART, it’s no longer consistent and sounding as good as before. Maybe I’m doing something wrong during measurements and EQ’d something I shouldn’t have 😏

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.