Hi all

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

New to the forum. I’m an amateur guitarist first but I do some live mixing too. Until now I only worked with analog boards but I’m considering to buy a digital one. For my own band but also to rent out to others (including me of course).

Because we end up a lot in smaller places like bars etc. I’m thinking rackmixer and that’s how I ended up here (and at Behringer, Soundcraft, Yamaha and Mackie for that matter)
    I’ve dl’d all the control apps to dry-practice and I can tell you that there are already big differences there.

Now, if I may I also have a few questions I’d like to ask to narrow the window further if possible.
    * As I understand it one can connect 2 Ipads simultaniously. Does this make it possible to run them side by side to create more working space and have them show completely different areas of the mixer ?
    * are threre important advantages in using the latest Ipad or can I get away with f.i. Ipads 2 ?
    * I assume keeping it in the family will work flawlessly so I’ve been looking at the Apple Airports. Does the regular Airport suffice (cheaper and a more convenient form factor) or do I need the Airport extreme ?

That’s it for now. I hope someone can help me out so thanks in advance !

Giga

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Yes. Doing this can be useful for keeping one on your foh mix, and the other on your fx. Or perhaps use one as a meter bridge. They have custom fader layouts too, which is handy.

Qu-pad requires ios7.1 or later. Will work on an old ipad2 (assuming the iPad is running 7.1 or later,) don’t think it’ll work on an old Ipad1.

Airport should be fine, once it’s configured.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I ofter use use Qu-Control rather than Qu-Pad on my second iPad. Think of it as a whole bunch of soft keys with some level controls & meters thrown in too. This requires iOS 9.3 or later. Still OK on an iPad 2, but sadly not my old iPhone 4, which would have been handy 🙁

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes,
    Longevity,
    Yes.

If you have any android devices you can use one of those as well…

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Thanks so much guys ! I took the first step and ordered a new Air 2 and one of these days I think I’m gonna go ahead and order QU-SB. There’s no reason not to actually…

Another question: I’m used to using headphones a lot for various things during mixing. The only practical solution I can think of is going wireless on that too but it turns out it’s quite easy to spend more money on that than on the mixer alone. Am I missing a cheaper solution ?

Thanks !

Giga

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Personally – I use a Thomann own brand (t.bone) wireless IEM solution – it does the job quite happily, and for a reasonable cost.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Thanks Bob, I’ve looked into those. They don’t get too glowing reviews 🙁 Which exact type do you use ?

Another question, this time about Qu-drive: can I use one and the same drive for both recording/playback, scene/show storage and reading and firmwareupdates when needed ?

Thanks !

Giga

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The IEM 75

If I was using them as a musician I’d want to replace the earphones, probably with Thomann EB4’s (another Thomann product in the house)

BUT the headphone recommendations are seriously personal in terms of fit – we bought a selection for the band, and sent some back and ordered more of others – we’re now split between the EB4 and shure 115s (with one preexisting pair of UEs).

None of the kit is seriously high end, so I’m sure some will turn their noses up. But I reckon it all comes in at the point where you are still paying for noticeable quality improvements (ducks, and dons fireproof suit). I’m sure more expensive versions do sound better, but there is a point at which things sound good enough for a hobbyist!

There is also the point that I remind myself frequently when looking at church systems… 90% of the congregation wouldn’t notice the 3* more costly speakers, and 99% won’t ever hear the more expensive ones to compare. Good stewardship involves getting stuff that sounds good enough (where that can still be a high bar to pass) rather than the best possible (which is an inevitable money pit).

cornelius78
    Participant

Re the qu-drive, yes, you can use the one drive for all those things. Once you format the drive for use you’ll end up with a folder structure on the drive that allows for all this. The only caveat is that you cannot record and playback simultaneously. If you need to record and playback simultaneously, you’ll have to hook up a laptop to the USB-b socket and use that for (at least) one of the operations.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Awesome, thanks guys !

Giga

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Allright, so I received my Qu-SB today. Ran into the first potential problem: I was anticipating to hook up the (stereo) keyboards to ST1 in. Testing with an MP3 player confirms that’s no problem. However, if I attempt to multitrack to the Q-Drive, track 17 + 18 change to LR out when I arm the recorder. I tried to change the patch I/O but to no avail unfortunately. I reckon I can tackle this by hooking up a DAW to the USB B port but it would be nice if I could leave my laptop at home.

Ideas anyone or am I sol ?

Thanks.

Giga

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

What exactly do you intend to do? Recording stereo from the LR? Stereo from ST1? Or really 18 channels multitrack with Ch17+18 taken from LR? CH17+18 are taken from LR by default, not necessary to change for a new device.
    When recording from LR you probably set it to LR Pre?
    What exactly does not work? Does not record at all? Does not recognize the USB stick? Produces empty WAV files? Do you see activity on the QuDrive meters when recording?
    …so many questions… 😉

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Haha ! Yeah, sorry about that 🙁

To save as many channels for the drums (iem) as possible I was thinking to run the keyboard via input(s) ST1. That’s no problem for the FOH sound. But when I attempt to record the 18 channels (16 normal + ST1 = 2) that doesn’t work as ST1 defaults to mains L+R during recording to the Q-drive. Mr. keyboard ain’t going to be happy if he’s not recorded I faer….

You see ?

Giga

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

So you want to record ST1L/R on Tracks 17+18, correct? If that’s the case, just go to I/O Patch->USB Audio, dial in ST1L for track 17 and ST1R for Track 18 press apply and finally have a look at page 75 of The Manual. 😉

cornelius78
    Participant

As above. By default the Qu-Drive will record ch1-16 on track1-16, and LR on track17+18: that’s the 18x channel limit of Qu-Drive. The channel>tracks are freely patchable though, it’s entirely possible for you to record ST1L and ST1R on track17+18 (of course at the expense of being able to record LR.)

If you plug a laptop in via the USB-B socket, that’s a whole extra interface (32×32 IIRC for the SB,) and you can freely patch whatever signals you want to record there, eg your 16x inputs, a couple of stereo channels for keys, a couple of FX returns and your main LR mix, all of which is separate to what’s going on with Qu-Drive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.