Help with scene changes & safes.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Help with scene changes & safes.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of debzdoodle debzdoodle 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

My situation might not be unique but is certainly unusual.
    I wirelessly mix sound on my iPad, lights on a different iPad and I sing backing harmonies through a wireless headset mic all at the same time.

Up till now I have simply chosen the different required FX from the library between songs but it is becoming more and more difficult to fit everything in whilst keeping the music rolling.This is because it isn’t simply changing the effect globally but I need to have certain affects on certain channels and it is taking me too long.

So, to my question….I use scenes per band and per venue simply as a recall to get a starting point each show. However, in the past when I have attempted to use the ‘safe’ function in scenes to use as FX changes, I haven’t been able to. The most I have been able to do is successfully save ST3 to keep break music running whilst changing scenes to a different band at multi band shows- but cannot seem to get my head around getting the FX to change but keeping all channels and mixes safe.

Could someone run a simple process by me as an example going from one scene to another to select only FX changes but keeping everything else- channels, L & R etc the same?

Thank you in advance!

debzdoodle
    Participant

Just re-read my post and want to clarify something….. when I say “keep channels safe” I mean inputs, EQ, dynamics etc – NOT FX levels. The appropriate FX engine and different individual channel FX levels are what I need to set and save to recall during songs.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The easy answer is that you need to go into the per-scene recall filters and block everything, and then unblock only the specific things that are necessary to make your FX changes happen. The harder part is figuring out what those are and making sure it won’t effect anything else. On page 58 of the manual these are the “Filter” buttons beside each scene.

I don’t use a Qu, but from the picture in the manual it seems that blocking everything except “FX param” and “FX sends” will do what you want. It doesn’t seem to allow you to choose particular FX engines and sends, so all of them will be updated when the scene is recalled. Of course that isn’t a problem if the things you don’t want changing have the same setting in both scenes anyway.

Pages 59 and 60 covers this, you want filters instead of safes. Safes are for when you want everything about an entire channel to behave as though it was an analog console and be “immune” to scene recalls.

Chris

debzdoodle
    Participant

Thanks Chris…I’ll check this out tomorrow. The FX parameters interests me and might do what I need.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.