help with proper cables

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions help with proper cables

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ljefe ljefe 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ljefe
    ljefe
    Participant

Which cables should I use to bring audio back from an unbalanced stereo source (Strymon Big Sky)?

I have the proper output cables sending signal from the Qu-16 Stereo Mix 5 & 6 to the Strymon- male TS to female XLR, and on the female XLR end, pin 3 (signal cold) is linked to pin 1 (signal ground).

I need to know if it’s optimal to use two TS 1/4″ cables returned from the Strymon to ST 1 in? In the manual it says: “Stereo Line Input: To work with RCA phono connections use jack to RCA converter plugs.” which leads me to believe that although the ST 1 & 2 inputs are balanced, a pair of unbalanced cables would work?

Would I be better off sonically to return the Strymon signal to two adjacent channel inputs via two TS cables, as the channel inputs accept TS? (From the Qu-16 manual: “Mono Line Input: To work with unbalanced sources use a mono jack or link ring to sleeve within the TRS stereo jack.”) Obviously, I lose a stereo pair of inputs this way, so that’s not great, but I want to be sure to maintain signal integrity.

Thank you for any help or insights.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Unbalanced will just work into jack inputs. The Ring and sleeve will be shorted.

Profile photo of ljefe
    ljefe
    Participant

Thank you for replying. That information calms me down.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I usually find that using this guide works well:

https://www.rane.com/note110.html

I have a copy of the tables stuck to the wall of my workshop.

Profile photo of ljefe
    ljefe
    Participant

Wow, that is perfect. What a great resource, thanks so much.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.