Hearing FX from other instruments in in ears

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Hearing FX from other instruments in in ears

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JoCo JoCo 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JoCo
    JoCo
    Participant

I have the SQ6 and I’m trying to figure out how to set my in ears mix to where I only hear FX from specific channels. Right now I am hearing reverb from everything that we have it going to in the mains even though those channels are turned down in my ears. For example, I am hearing drum reverb even though I don’t have any of the drum channels going to my mix. It’s really annoying because I’m not hearing the drum, only the reverb of the drum. Thanks for the help!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I assume your ear mix is coming directly from a mix out on the mixer.

In that case it sounds like some of the FX return channels have their mix
    sends brought up in the mix that is feeding your in ears.

Just think of an FX return channel as any other input channel, they have the
    same routing options.

If your using an ME monitor system some of the FX returns must be patched
    to channels on the ME.

Profile photo of JoCo
    JoCo
    Participant

Ok, so how would I go about checking on this? Sorry, kind of a noob when it comes to things like this.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

What do you send to that FX ?

See if those channels are set to Pre or Post in the send, as Pre will not be affected by you turning down the faders.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Remember that each effects unit can have lots of things sent to it, but only has the one (stereo) output.
    So if you use the same reverb unit for two things, that unit’s return will have both those things reverb mixed together in it.
    So to get them separated, you’d need to use two reverb units.

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

This is normal. The FX return that you are sending to your IEMs is a bus containing the FX mix for that effects unit so it will of course have the wet signal of all the channels sent to that effect.

If you only want your FX in your IEM then you will have to use an effect unit just for your channel.

It’s unusual to have reverb in monitoring for 3 main reasons.
    1. If using wedges (not applicable in your case of course) then you’re more likely to have feedback issues on a loud stage
    2. Some find it can have a negative impact on the musician’s performance – I don’t necessarily agree with this though
    3. Everyone wants to hear just theirs which, as you have discovered, may be impossible without a huge number of FX units and buses/channels to send/return them if the band is large

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Ok, so how would I go about checking on this? Sorry, kind of a noob when it comes to things like this.

To check any channels routing select the channel and then hit the routing button under the screen. That will give you the big picture of everywhere that channel is going,the level and any group assignments. You can change levels from that screen as well, select the level box of the mix your want to adjust and then use the rotary encoder knob to adjust the levels.

Profile photo of JoCo
    JoCo
    Participant

This is extremely helpful, thank you. I will probably set up a couple different FX for different parts of the band. One for vox, one for drums, one for keys. This explains a lot, though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.