headphone out

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions headphone out

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of philt80 philt80 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of philt80
    philt80
    Participant

dhak.. thanks for the replies.. I’ll check the manual and check out those stereo mixes to route to. [XAP]Bob, suck a lemon and your useless one liner comments.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yummy, lemons 😉

The headphone out is pure PAFL, the PAFL settings on the desk can be set to follow L&R when nothing else is routed there (which, I suspect, is how your are running).
    The PAFL bus feeds the Monitor output block, which feeds the phones on the QU-16 block diagram (the one I have printed by my desk is from the 1.6 manual)

Since you then turn down the master faders the signal to the PAFL (in this case AFL on the L&R) is also reduced, so you hear nothing.
    You either need to set PAFL to prefade listen to outputs, or use the Alt Out for your speakers and use the pot for dropping their volume.

Alternatively you could feed the headphones completely separately – and this would be my preferred method – using a stereo mix. This allows you to choose exactly what you *need* to hear for each recording, in the same way that a monitor mix in a live gig allows you to hear what it is you need to hear.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ahh so you have 2 sets of monitors.
    Remembering that the QU is advertised and a Live Sound and also in the studio.
    Its what and other would call a cross-over desk.

I think you should study some flow chart schematic examples of some of the other desks in a studio example.

Normally studios have a *favoured* set of monitors and then they want to listen to the same sound and the other set. sometime this is call ALT short for as you guess it Alternative set however you always need to grab the same knob or fader that controls these sets of speakers.
    Hence the ALT out knob.
    There are a few ways of selecting these different A?B speakers.
    You can get a speaker switch…
    These need to able to switch line level with out click that would drive you mad.
    Or maybe you could get a 3 way with the third way position being the *totally off* position.
    I ran 2 sets of speakers from ALT OUT looping the the 2 sets of monitors A&B and had a simple power switch and turned on each set as I required.
    However I will be getting a “director type switch” to either select A or B next time I set up my QU in my studio.
    AND if you have other musicians come into your studio you can AFL their headphone mixs’ with you headphones on with the main studio speakers off.

Lots of variables.
    I’m surprised A & H don’t have some examples on line of QU studio setups?
    Andrea may be able to help you.
    They probably do in a broucher somewhere?
    They do in GSR24M manuals. That’s a recording desk only

Hope this has helped. Ran out of time to write more.

good luck

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

An alternative and if money is not too much of an option then you could get some Allen & Heath ME1’s
    They would work perfectly as head phone mix’s.

Profile photo of philt80
    philt80
    Participant

Thanks all!

I think I am going to try running each set through the stereo mix outputs. That way I can bus my tracks within my daw and control what is going through them (click etc). I can’t seem to find anything but signal flow schematics but I think from those I think I can get my setup correct. I’d like to get everything routing correctly within the QU and not rely on external monitor controlers. I totally understand how the pafl works on the QU now so thats great.

Thanks for all your help all!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.