headphone out

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions headphone out

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of philt80 philt80 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of philt80
    philt80
    Participant

Anyway to get the headphone jack routed from something other than LR Main? Maybe I’m looking way to hard for this? 🙂 Can I route it the same as say 25+26 out?

Thanks!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Headphone out should give you AFL/PFL ?

Profile photo of JD
    JD
    Participant

… I would think Solo too …

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Headphones are dedicated PAFL, the Alt Out is configurable.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I have used and tested the QU headphone out to a Y socket (I have bunch’s of the 4 way rack mount socket from patch bays) and split the send to a local monitor.
    Worked FAB!

Need to be aware of the Left Right and balanced wiring though.
    From memory I used an insert (TRS) cable to send to the powered speaker.
    To claify: Short Balanced cable out of ALT OUT to a Y splitter (TRS) and then headphone (AKG studio ) plugged into that and also TRS insert cable off to a powered speaker, using on side of the hot tips.
    (some powered speakers have 2 jack line ins)

So I did this experimenting for using the ALT OUT to drive another feed.
    I’m waiting for the day when we get a delay on the ALT OUT! 🙂

Profile photo of philt80
    philt80
    Participant

Hmmm… not sure if I explained it right. So I have my monitors on the LR main out. When I record drums, I put my headphones into the headphone out… but when doing this I can’t play the tracks because as soon as I turn down the monitors so they aren’t picked up, my headphones also turn off. Maybe I’m not thinking about this right…What I would like is an output on the daw with click enabled and the LR output on the daw going to my monitors.. should I be going through mix outputs for everything and avoiding the mains?

Thanks!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

What are your PAFL settings? What is PAFL enabled?

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

As I see it, you’re using your main LR fader as a control room level, which would of course turn down LR in your headphones too, if LR is routed to headphones.

Try feeding your monitors from the Alt out sockets, send LR to Alt out (assigned in the Setup -> IO Patch -> Surface screen) and use the Alt out knob on the surface as your control room level. LR is then purely your main LR level, which will affect anything it feeds, including bouncing down to two track.

DC

Profile photo of philt80
    philt80
    Participant

Dave, thanks for the reply. this was my original question.. you said “if LR is routed to headphones”.. Can you route something else to headphones? Say have out 25+26 routed to headphones? I can’t see anywhere to change the routing on the headphones.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

By default, the PAFL bus is either muted or routed to LR, depemding on whether LR to PAFL is enabled or not. PAFL bus is always routed to headphones, as that’s entirely the purpose of the bus. If you want CH25/26 routed to headphones, then you should PAFL CH25/26.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

PAFL buttons are your friends…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

mmmm?
    Hope this helps and dosn’t not confuse you or myself..
    I looked at both the manual and the reference guide and could not find set up block-diagrams to what you are wanting.
    Usually in a DAW scenario like you are describing.

As DaveCo said you feed you studio speakers from your ALT out balanced TRS jacks.
    However then you need to be able to hear from your headphones to over dubb.
    well, you need to create a either a headphone bus so you and other musicians can hear as well.

To do this musicians use several mix (mono or stereo Mix’s) bus’s and use an out board headphone driver’s.

In your case it sounds like you need to turn off the L/R following PAFL as per pic below or on page 10.1 on the PDF Manual and
    To assign your PAFL to Alt out so you can PAFL into the studio or main room speakers.

Remembering that you need to turn down the ALT speakers when you use the headphones.

AND as BOB said PAFL is your friend so that you can hear your mix when the ALT out speakers are turned down.

Hope this helps and has not confused you.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Page 64 of the PDF manual for the I/O Patch Setup Surface

Profile photo of philt80
    philt80
    Participant

Dhak thanks for the response and time.
    So this is my setup… maybe someone can give me a solution to set this up proper since I’m relatively new.
    I have 2 different monitor sets. One 4 inch and one 6 inch set (small room). I also have a headphone amp with 4 separately adjusted volume knobs. I would like to be able to able to select which output I want (either 3 sources) and be able to turn the others off.

Should I be using the mix outputs for these? I haven’t really had a good chance to fumble through the board yet (just got it) but I’m not sure where to start.
    I think in my daw I could have 3 busses running to 3 different sends (one I would like click for overdubbing on – to headphones).

Thanks for all your help!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Three setups, three stereo mixes – anyone else see coincidence? (Can’t recall the Matrix quote – something about targets and captains)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.