Headphone out balance adjustment and quickly summing to mono

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Headphone out balance adjustment and quickly summing to mono

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GeddonArchon
    GeddonArchon
    Participant

My main question here is if there is an easy way to set the headphone output balance. My left ear is a bit worse than my right one, so I’d like to be able to set a kind of correction so when I mix I’m hearing things how I expect but not screwing up the mix going out. I know I can use metering and other things, but I still think this would be useful. I dug around a bit and didn’t see where the option is. I can set an output balance on a mix, but that’s not exactly what I want. I want to set an output balance on the headphone out. I’m sure someone makes a box that would give me this option but I’m wondering if the mixer can do it.

My other question is if there is an easy way to check a stereo channel or mix and sum it to mono and back to stereo. This isn’t that important because I’ll most likely mostly use it for post mixing and can just do it in my DAW, but I’d like to know how if there is an easy way. Also something that could be achieved with a box off of the main headphone output.

thanks guys! I’m really enjoying my qu32 after finally spending a lot of time learning the ins and outs of it lately.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@geddonarchon

Depends.

What do you call easy.
    What is still available to use on your Qu.

Couldn’t you send final LR out to a matrix and use the pan on the matrix to do that?
    I might try reversing the phones and seeing if it seems balanced, instead.
    Or use meters visually, which is what I would do in my work since I do have a hearing unbalance in my olde age.

If this is for studio, and not live, I would do it all in my DAW visually and forget the panning and fancy stuff in the Qu.

As to question two: In a DAW yes. In the Qu not as easy.
    You cannot undo mono to stereo (and yes I know there are programs that ‘sort of’ do that).
    You could mix to mono in another output and then in parallel still get the stereo untouched version where you sent it to mono.

What do you want to do with some ‘box’ attached to headphones out??
    Better question is WHY do you want to do that at all?

GeddonArchon
    Participant

Ok I would want it so I can pafl to any mix and it will sound balanced in my ears but it would be balanced in the center for recording. I have a headphone amp that has a balance option and I have that off a mic out for when I want to use iems but I like to keep my main headphones off of the mixer headphone out since pafl is so nice to have. It just seems like a logical option to have to help people like me who hear significantly worse in one ear.

As for why to sum to mono because that is a common thing when mixing in the box so I would assume it is sometimes useful for live mixing. I use my mixer mostly for studio use though.

Really these things are not crucial, just things I think would be nice to have. I can achieve them with a small mixer off the headphone out if I can’t do it inside the qu. I’m actually kind it surprised no box exists like this. I see things that are close but I just want to take a headphone input give me balance, gain reduction and a sum to mono option And a headphone output. Seems simple but all I can find that does it are mixers and I’m unsure how dumping a headphone output into two mixer inputs will turn out.

Ok here is a thought. Can I have a mix out follow pafl? Or do I have to use the headphone out for it?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Ok here is a thought. Can I have a mix out follow pafl? Or do I have to use the headphone out for it?

Yes you can.

You can assign the ALT OUT to be the PAFL output or if your using a stage box any of those outputs can be assigned to the PAFL as well.

Go into the IO set up menu, select surface, ALT OUT and scroll through the choices on the list I think PAFL is at the bottom of the list.

Also on the ALT OUT choices is a L+R mono sum.

volounteer
    Participant

@GordonArchon

I only sum to mono when I want mono.
    Else I mix in stereo.
    Not aware it was common for ITB mixing at all.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Maybe they want to check for stereo phase issues that can show up when stereo signal is summed to mono.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Sometimes I do that, depending on how the final mix is to be used.
    I read his post as being the norm for almost all mixing.

GeddonArchon
    Participant

from what i’ve gathered it is just good to spend some time mixing in mono and getting things settled there then switch to stereo.

stage box pafl would be awesome as i have an ab168 and don’t use most of the outputs. how do I set pafl to a pair of those outs?

GeddonArchon
    Participant

easy enough, can set PAFL on my stage box, great! thank you!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

easy enough, can set PAFL on my stage box, great! thank you!

I take it you found the set up routing then?

volounteer
    Participant

@geddonarchon

Not sure where you gathered that idea from, but while mono mixing is needed at times, I have not heard of that being the norm.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Not sure where you gathered that idea from, but while mono mixing is needed at times, I have not heard of that being the norm.

Many times in live sound with maybe the exception of FX returns the main mix
    is more or less mono.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec
    Soounded like he was doing studio work with a DAW, not live sound mixing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.