Has anyone worked up a 'lo-fi' vocal setting?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Has anyone worked up a 'lo-fi' vocal setting?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cornelius78 cornelius78 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Al
    Al
    Participant

…a-la Foster The People’s “Pumped Up Kicks”? I’m needing to get that ‘tele/mega-phony’ sound on a vocal channel, and was just wondering how any of you might’ve gone about setting that up if you did.
    Thanx!

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Steep hi and low rolloffs on the peq, so the only frequencies left in tact are from about 400-2k, then boost 1k to make it a bit more nasal. Narrow the 400-2k band even further to heighten the effect. Probably not perfect, but it’s a start.

Profile photo of Al
    Al
    Participant

Hey cornelius!
    Yeah, that was what I did to get in the proverbial ballpark. I was just wondering if any of you more clever types had another way of getting to the ‘promised land’.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Only speaking on behalf of myself, I’m certain there are other “clever types” out there: I’m not familiar with the song, so I don’t know exactly what sound you’re going for, all I can suggest is maybe boost the gain to get it closer to distortion, and perhaps add some slightly aggressive compression (>4:1) with high-ish MUG, just be careful what you’re sending to monitors. I did some quick Googling (how did that become a verb?!?) and it seems it’s a commonly asked question for cover bands, and common solutions include using specific mics and/or specific external fx units with certain presets. They all had the hi/low rolloff going on though. One guy actually wired an actual telephone handset into his console for use in the studio. Good luck with it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.