GX4816 -> SQ5 Show Up As Inactive Patches

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting GX4816 -> SQ5 Show Up As Inactive Patches

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BradWalker BradWalker 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BradWalker
    BradWalker
    Participant

We just received a GX4816 that will primarily used with an Avantis (arrives later this week).
    I decided to connect it to one of our SQ5 mixers, and though it shows an active link on both the GX4816 LEDs and the SQ5 recognizes it’s connected to a GigaAce interface in the I/O screen, the patch point show up with the hatch-marked “inactive” indicator square, not the solid light gray “active” square.

The SQ5 is running version 1.58 firmware, so we know it’s recent enough to communicate correctly with the GX4816. I can patch local I/O, and I can patch SLink I/O when I disconnect the GX4816 and replace it directly with a DX168. I cannot access the same DX168 I/O when its connected to one of the DX Port on the GX4816. I keep thinking, “it should just work”, but I can’t seem to find the problem. I’m using the same trusted shielded CAT6A cable that works fine with DX168, and even a second DX168 cascaded from the first via another long DX168 (250′ cable to first one, 300′ cable to second one), so I don’t believe it’s a cable problem.

I’d be happy to find out it’s a dumb oversight on my part, and the big test is if it works with the Avantis. Right now, though, I just want to test the GX4816-SQ5 combo.

Any hints?

Attached are screen shots of the firmware, I/O Patch screen, and the GX4816 with the yellow light blinking

Looking forward to getting this sorted!
    Brad Walker
    Flamingo Audio
    Poulsbo, WA

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    BradWalker
    Participant

Here’s the Info Screen:

Attachments:
    BradWalker
    Participant

Just to clarify, the firmware is version 1.5.2 r3947, not 1.5.8 as previously stated.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Brad,

A&H protocol expanders feature automatic firmware updates on connection to a console.
    For this to work correctly, please ensure you have the latest version of firmware installed on the console – currently for SQ this would be v1.5.6.
    If this doesn’t solve things please contact us directly using support.allen-heath.com

Cheers!
    Keith

BradWalker
    Participant

Well, I’ll be! The firmware update did the trick, snake locked up with the “ready” LED lit as well. Note to self: ALWAYS keep A&H firmware up to date, even if just one bump up from what’s installed!

As a big bonus, the Avantis showed up today. I was able to get the SQ->GX4816 all happy and working, then watch the Avantis running 1.20 load its firmware (fast flashing LEDs) when connected to the same GX4816 a few minutes later. Locked up like a champ.

I always thought the idea of keeping the firmware in the console and letting S-Link auto-negotiate with the expanders was a pretty good architecture approach. Watching it happen today in real life was very cool. Or maybe I was just blinded by all the cool screens and buttons 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.