Gx4816 require DI boxes

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Gx4816 require DI boxes

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Typical church. Have avantis with gx4816 150′ away over slink. Bought a playAUDIO12 with TRS balanced outputs for running trax. Do i need to take balanced outs into di boxes before into gx4816?

Same question for traditional line instruments…i do have to use di boxes for anything unbalanced even though the dx4816 is just a few feet away on stage where the preamps are (unlike traditional analog snakes)…since it doesnt have TR or unbalanced inputs.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

No you can direct connect the play audio 12. You need cable with one side trs and the other xlr male. Check the cables’s that they are balanced.

For unbalanced instrument’s the best solution is to get di boxes.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Same question for traditional line instruments…

what are traditional line instruments?
    Mostly the are no line instruments, they send very low signal and need to see high impedance inputs…
    a DI box is exactly made for this kind of signal… e-Pianos, guitar amps, synthies

it changes the impedance and makes the signal symmetrical for longer hum and buzz free cable runs
    bring the DI box close to the instrument and you will have solved 80% of your humming and buzzing problems

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

SteffenR,

Mostly the are no line instruments

sorry – should not hvae used “line” in this forum – agree. I was just hoping that most folks use DI boxes for “line” (guitars/keys) to get down a long analog snake for all the reasons (LO/HIZ) you mention. Since the GX4816 holds the pre-amps and if it had unbalanced inputs like most desks, I was hoping to get rid of DI boxes.

Showtime,

you can direct connect the play audio 12

Thanks – was hoping I could. Previous sound guy had bought an 8 channel rack-mounted DI — I can use that for my “line” (unbal keys/guitars) now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.