GX4816 IEC Position

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions GX4816 IEC Position

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mr-B Mr-B 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Not an SQ thing but as I’m using with SQ7…

Considering the GX4816 is designed to also be rack mounted, having the IEC socket on the front is a strange design decision. I’ve racked mine at the side of the stage and that poking out ready to be accidentally caught and pulled out mid show is quite concerning.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

A couple of thoughts. The first is that a number of places (including Amazon if they are where you are) sell right angle IEC cables. That in itself would reduce your pull-out risk. Also, there is a company called Quail Electronics that make awesome IEC acbles that lock into any IEC socket. Yes, you can pull them free, but not without a bulldozer’s help. Easy to get out if you press the release buttons. I highly recomend these if you have IEC connections that just “can not” come loose.

https://www.quail.com/

I’m not sure but they may even have right angle locking IEC cords. They are a wholesaler but they can help you find a retailer on your internet.

D.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I think having it on the front makes sense. It is the one side that is guaranteed to have accessibility. If they placed in on the sides or back, it is likely there would be no/limited accessibility if it was mounted.

I agree that having a locking IEC cable is probably the best option. It would be nice if Allen and Heath included one in the packaging.

Profile photo of conrad
    conrad
    Participant

Has nobody noticed (or read the user guide) that the GX4816 has a power cable tie on the front panel next to the IEC socket?

Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Good shout on the locking connector – I’ve just ordered a cable with a moulded one plus a retrofit one.

Re the cable retainer on the front, I’m not so sure about that. It retains the cable but not necessarily the connector. Also, to get the cable in there means a pretty serious bend in the flex which probably isn’t a great idea. I may have been doing it wrong? I did initially secure the cable using it but changed my mind.

Profile photo of JeroenAudio
    JeroenAudio
    Participant

I would have preferred that A&H would have used Powercon connectors instead of IEC sockets. It would have been worth the extra Euros/pounds.
    However, I consider the cable retainers the second best solution and I use them on the console and on my stage boxes. Haven’t had any issues from bending the cable so far.

Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

The IEC Lock cable has done the job nicely 😁

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Been using the P Clip style AC cable retainer for the last 15 years at least on various A&H products never had one fall out or the cable break yet, even being bounced around in trucks, planes etc. The right angle ones are a good idea but as the XLR’s and network connections stick out at least 50mm don’t see an issue. Now if someone deliberately removes the connector whilst being used that is a security problem not an equipment short coming
    There are a number of locking IEC C13 connectors on the maket, whilst very good they do tend to be a little longer than normal in my experience, good for in the back of equipment racks where access is restricted to stop them shaking loose if there are no convenient lacing bars to tie off to.
    Just my four pennyworth.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.