group vs auxiliary modes

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions group vs auxiliary modes

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mfk0815 Mfk0815 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Option 1 is ideal, but you won’t have enough busses. Is adding a dedicated monitor console an option? I have a QU that I sometimes use for monitor duty. It has less mixes than the SQ, but it completely frees up my SQ’s busses. The only small issue for some is that the channels will share gain unless you add an analog split. Sharing gain is usually fine for my application.

Option 2 using Auxes for ME and DCAs for LR can work. The only thing you loose is the ability to process the channels as a group, but the DCA will at least allow you to control group volume to LR. I’m really hoping A&H add DCA Spill to the SQ in a future update. When you select the DCA, the surface goes to the channels assigned to that DCA. That is my favorite way to mix a lot of channels on a small console. You don’t have to remember what layer you put things on, just use layer A for DCAs and if you need to get to a certain channel, press the DCA. It is fast and for me, less to think about. If you agree, there is a thread requesting DCA spill if you want to give +1 so that they know it is an important feature.

Profile photo of gunzy
    gunzy
    Participant

Michael,

adding a QU would add to an already complicated setup, which the volunteers will not be able to handle. We are migrating from an analogue board.

As for processing the channels as a group (compression on various vocal groups would be nice), I’ll have to live without it for the time being. We never really had it with our old setup anyway.

I can see the benefit of the DCA Spill, it’s definitely something worth considering. I currently have my volunteers use Layer F to create their own custom Layer, so handling individual faders shouldn’t be too hard for them.

Thanks again for your help

Millan

Profile photo of Hpskateski
    Hpskateski
    Participant

So, here might be a silly question……. in Keith’s description he mentioned grouping drum or vox channels. Why would that not be done in DCA’s instead of a group unless the group is meant to go somewhere out and the DCA is just internal for live mixing?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

A DCA only controls the Main volumn of the assigned channels (and of course also the volumn of the post fader bus sends). And it is not part of the audio path.
    A group,on the other hand is in the audio path and allows you to add procession of the group sum like EQ, compressor or insert effects. Changing the master fader, or master volumn, of the group do nor affect the send levels for the post fader busses the assigned channels.

Profile photo of Hpskateski
    Hpskateski
    Participant

I agree with everything you said. I probably wasn’t clear in my question which would simply be what application would you use a group instead of an aux? Since you can group things that’s where I brought up DCa’s. I’m just trying to figure on a practical use for a group verses just assigning things to an aux and then sending it to monitors, delay towers and the like. Any and all info is appreciated!!

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

One reason why I am using groups is to, as I said before, process the sum at once, like adding compressor to all vocals or the brass section. That means that I remove the input channels from the main bus, add them to a group and then add this group to the main bus. I can now also fine tune the sound with the EQ of the group. Things like this.
    Monitor busses are handled completely different in my workflow. I use them to create a more or less independent mix, thats why they are called auxiliary busses.
    You can use such busses for creating asignal for delay lines as well, but in most of the cases using matrices is easier to handle.simply send the main signal to one matrix and adjust EQ, level and delay.
    I hope that answers some of your questions.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.