group vs auxiliary modes

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions group vs auxiliary modes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of whatsoup whatsoup 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jdugger
    jdugger
    Participant

In section 12.3 of the SQ-6 documentation, the ability to select between group and auxiliary modes is presented.

What I cannot find is a practical definition of the difference between these bus types, and why I would select one over the other.

Does anyone have a simple explanation?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

auxiliary mixes can get the channel signals from pre fader or post fader and you can set the volumn of each channel on that auxiliary mix individually. for stereo auxiliaries you can set the pan individual from the main pan.
    For (sub)groups you only can define which channel will be member of that group (using the assign button). they will allways be post fader and you can neither set the level nor the pan indiviual.
    The difference ist the same as non analog consoles. Auxiliary mixes uses individual rotary potis and switches for pre/post faders but for subgroups you only can decide whether the channels is routet to that group or not.

Profile photo of jdugger
    jdugger
    Participant

Thank you.

So, groups are essentially the same as the old 24-bus tape assign switches, and auxes are, well, aux submixes.

Profile photo of whatsoup
    whatsoup
    Participant

Thanks for answering this; I was wondering myself. I’m trying to see a benefit or use for using groups instead of auxes. I see the mixer is letting me tip the balance to 12 auxes and zero groups. I’m sure somebody has a use for groups instead of auxes but I’m not experienced enough to see why they would want to, any ideas?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I am using groups …hmm… well to group signals. One standard is a vocal group or a brass group. There i can use a summing compressor which works for the whole vocal group instead of each single voice. Stuff like this….

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

A group is a mix of channels that can be processed as a whole and then sent to the main LR mix and/or an aux.
    An aux is an auxiliary output (auxiliary in relation to the main LR mix) which allows a completely separate mix to be created, though can also include some aspect of the main mix, such as post fade levels.
    A matrix is a mix of mixes.

Some examples might be:
    Group – all drum mics to one group, all backing vocals to one group
    Aux – a monitor mix, a mix for a secondary room
    Matrix – a recording mix, reinforcement speakers such as fills

Hope this helps!
    Keith.

Profile photo of whatsoup
    whatsoup
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification, Keith. This is all fairly new territory for me and I have been wondering how to compress multiple (USB) drum channels all at once. I currently have them all going to an Aux, which I added a compressor to, but I noticed I had no audible feedback of the compressor, but it would record into the DAW correctly. I take it groups is the way to then for this situation?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.