Group Spill (yes again, read to know why)

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Group Spill (yes again, read to know why)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BarnabY
    BarnabY
    Participant

Hello to all,

Many of us have certainly learned to use DCAs for mixing (Midas generation ? πŸ™‚ ). In this approach, the DCA Spill function is very useful.

The use of subgroups is sometimes more useful for example to add a global treatment or to PAFL all the band with one button. Unfortunately, there is no Groups Spill yet.

I am making this post to encourage Allen & Heath to develop this. I sent a request and the service said they never had a request. I am surprised as I have already read something similar in the forum. As a result I am making a new post on the subject.

In practice, a “pop group” function could be associated to a soft key or directly with the subgroup selection key. What do you think ?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

“Pop Groups” are DCA groups without a DCA fader (or the DCA fader is set to 0dB as a fixed value)
    you can use pop groups already, assign a DCA spill to a soft key and leave the fader apart…

Profile photo of JeroenAudio
    JeroenAudio
    Participant

For the first time I have to disagree with you Steffen. The POP buttons on the Midas consoles provide the opportunity to get instant access to a selection of (personally selected) faders, including outputs. Just the faders, no processing, a bit like you can do via the layers. Having the availability to include outputs as well made it a great tool for me to work with back in the PRO days. It would be great if I could create a few POP groups via the soft keys on the SQ as sometimes I need all the layers.

SteffenR
    Participant

For the first time I have to disagree with you Steffen

That’s fine for me πŸ˜‰

the DCA spill is doing something similar on both consoles…
    you can assign a DCA mix button to a soft button and then you have a POP group replacement…
    no need for a DCA fader on the surface and DCA’s have no processing on both systems

oth the freely assignable layers on SQ make POP groups obsolete in some cases but DCA spill is a nice possibility to add another layer of control

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi BarnabY,

with some extra work:
    you can assign all channels of your group also to a DCA πŸ˜‰

the “select” Button of the group is used to activate the processing, while at the DCA the button is “free” an can do the spill.

@jeroenaudio
    +1 Yes!
    As you said the POP Groups of the PRO-Series are the Layer Buttons at A&H.
    And extend the 6 Layers with the userkeys would be very very fine! especially at the SQ5!!
    Love!

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi Steffen,

DCA spill with softbuttons as extra layer. So easy yet I never thought about it that way. Thank you

Cheers,
    AndrΓ©

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

But with dedicated extra Layers the arrangement would be free.

for me the complet-reorder of channel strips with the DCA spill is on the SQ series (because here the workspace is onle ONE HOLE Faderbank) is annoying.
    DCA spill is very very fine when there are 2 different Fadebanks!

so the idea of having more than 6 Layers with the softkeys is more beautiful..
    πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Or give the option to have the members of a DCA group in the order we added the channels to a DCA group.

SteffenR
    Participant

Or give the option to have the members of a DCA group in the order we added the channels to a DCA group.

I think that will be very difficult to do

But with dedicated extra Layers the arrangement would be free.

yes, that’s true, but the “DCA members” can change on the fly…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.