GLD User can only save to certain scenes!

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD feature suggestions GLD User can only save to certain scenes!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robert C.
    Robert C.
    Participant

Im the Technical Director for a Multi Site Church and we have 7x GLD80 Consoles.

I would love to be able to setup user accounts and give the volunteers the ability of having their own scene tied to their account which they could save and recall, however they wouldn’t have access to overwrite other users scenes unless they were an Admin.

Along with this Read Only scenes (which an admin could overwrite) would be great as well!

Currently I have to take away all the “non admin” users ability to save scenes because they could potentially overwrite another users, when a “non admin” wants to save an “admin with no associated scene” has to login and save over the “non admin users” scene.

Thanks for the consideration!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Not to be a killjoy but I think folks make too much of all this user level/admin stuff. I have consoles out everywhere. I just don’t hear about problems. Not one customer has asked to setup users.

Just save additional backups of each users scene way down the list. Or have each user have his own thumbdrive and load his show/scenes in. Just be careful in case you have processing setup on the output busses as speaker procs. I still use outboard procs just for that reason.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I am not against having a way to set read only scenes though.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Issue everyone with a flash drive. They save their show file onto that and they recall it from there each time they use the desk.

Nobody can overwrite a showfile that’s sitting on a flash drive in someone elses pocket, and nobody is restricted from using the desk to it’s full capacity.

Chris

Profile photo of Robert C.
    Robert C.
    Participant

The show file method is valid however, this would create other problems for your typical church user IMO, considering most churches have volunteer operators that aren’t professionals, At some level a “professional” will come in an setup the console how it needs to be, and then the operators will use it without making system level changes unless an “admin” approves of them. We have had plenty of times were scenes were modified and settings changed that other users weren’t aware of, mostly by accident. Yes the point of the flash drive would fix this but it would prevent us from setting the console up perfectly, and maintaining it, because id now have to maintain a bunch of different show files on individuals USB keys, and in my case on 7 GLD systems at different locations.

In my case there are 3 production staff training and supporting 10+ live music venues at multiple locations with volunteers as operators. The volunteers operating this sound board are not professionals and don’t necessarily have any experience beyond basic mixing and basic eq’ing, some of them literally just push faders with no EQ ability because they haven’t reached that level yet. We have middle school and high school students operating these boards, as well as guest “sound guys” that come in with events and weddings that really think they know it all, however most of the time they just start messing with things they probably shouldn’t have!

So there are things they don’t need to be messing with, in my experience show flies being one of them. I need to be able to “configure” the console and label everything so an operator can come in log in and mix faders, make changes to EQ’s and mix IEM’s, but they aren’t touching any settings (patching, mixer config, labels, etc) and when they are done they can save their user profile or save only to there scene.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Don’t over complicate or over think it with volunteers. Trust me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘GLD feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.