GLD palm rest refinishing

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting GLD palm rest refinishing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dcongdon dcongdon 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

I need to refinish the palm rest of our GLD with something comparable to the black rubberized paint it comes with. We have a backup palm rest (from AM&S – US distributor) we will use for now while I refinish the original. I would prefer a more durable solution, but probably best to keep it looking stock. We’ve had our gld80 for 3 years and festival wear is starting to show with the palm rest paint pealing off. I have found a couple rubberized paint options, but thought I would check with the forum to see if anyone had a lead on the factory spec.

Also, anyone open up their GLD? Curious to take a look under the hood.

Profile photo of plevrier
    plevrier
    Participant

Well my palm wrest is still ok, I have mine about 2 1/2 years and it is out for about 100 shows a year. My problem is that the white scale painting at the faders is fading away, especially on the right faderbank. (Gld80)

When i got the gld it had a non functining USB port. So opened the hood and reconnected the USB again. Cable was loose. It is pretty neat inside. You will find a dsp board, PC board, and lots of flatcable interconnections.

If there is a leather(ish) replacement for the wrist I would buy it.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Hi plevrier,

I’m not sure how you would reapply the markings next to the faders. That would require some screen printing.

I must say, replacing the arm rest is more involved than I expected. Had to remove a side and bottom panel, as well as all of the fader banks. It was very clean and organized inside. I may open the console up again at some point to take a better look at the inner workings and snap some photos.

For now I’m happy the mixer went back together without issue and is looking clean with the replacement arm rest. Next up is cleaning the old arm rest and refinishing it.

I’ve toyed with warping it with leather, but I don’t think there is enough space between joints to properly do it. Then again, why not try?

Cheers!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.