GLD Midi Control

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions GLD Midi Control

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pdherring
    pdherring
    Participant

So I have been an avid user of the GLD for a couple of years now and think I have now used pretty much every function on the console, one thing (other than creating soft keys to send midi commands to QLab) I have not done yet is use the midi control functions. I have a big show coming up in just over a week and I am curious about the level of control possible on the GLD using MTC or standard MIDI.

I have a massive QLab session with the whole show programmed to control, projectors, multitrack and lighting cues, but just wondered if I could add scene recall to this too. I see in the manual the command should be something like….

BN, 00, 00, CN, SS

Unfortunately I don’t have the desk with me and was hoping someone had done this before and could advise if it is as simple as this command being sent from a qlab cue? If so I must be being thick as the manual seems less than clear. That said I am not an expert on MIDI commands.

Also I notice there is a tab in setup/midi called midi control. What is this for?

Thanks in advance all.

P

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

If you have a third party MIDI interface, plug this into the GLD MIDI sockets and yes, firing that string from QLab would recall a Scene on the mixer (check the tables in the MIDI specs for the correct values of N and SS).
    If you want QLab to connect to the GLD via TCP, the string is the same but you should also follow the instructions given in the spec document to set up the TCP connection, and make sure computer and GLD are on compatible IP addresses.

The Setup/MIDI tab sets the MIDI channel and offers MIDI (MMC) transport control from the mixer to connected MIDI equipment.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of pdherring
    pdherring
    Participant

Nicola,

That is great and certainly clears up my first question, I use the TCP driver all the time to send commands from the desk softkey to QLab so shouldn’t be too hard to sort.

As for the MMC control I am not sure what the play/stop etc controls would be used for? Maybe I am missing something obvious. Its just a query as to what this function does as it could be something useful that I am not aware of completely.

Many Thanks again

Pete

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

MMC is widely supported by DAW software or standalone recorders (such as an Alesis HD24). The MIDI screen gives the ability to remote transport of these devices from the GLD touchscreen.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.