GLD / Dante recording

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions GLD / Dante recording

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mfk0815 Mfk0815 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

Hi, I recently bought a Dante module for my GLD 80. I installed Dante Controller and Dante Virtual Soundcard on my Windows 10 computer. I want to record some tracks (with e.g. Reaper) but I don’t know exactly what settings I have to make on my GLD. Can anyone give a little bit of help please?

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of beartech
    beartech
    Participant

On the GLD, press the IO button and choose IO Out. Select “Start” and set it to 1 , then touch the End and turn the knob to select 32. (or whatever the highest number used will be) This should populate the output channels with the names that you have assigned them. Now when you have live music coming into the GLD it will be routed to ProTools (or whatever software you are using) To play back, select IO in on the GLD and select start as 1 (use the dropdown box to choose “input” (rather than unassigned). Then select End and dial the knob to 32. When you play from your software, you will see signal on each channel of the GLD.

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

Oh is it this easy šŸ™‚ I did not find it immediately in the manual.

Thank you

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

One thing that’s not yet clear to me… How will the inputs be sent to the computer from wich I want to record (still have to install some software, probably Reape): post or pre EQ? In case of post, is better that I select direct out in the channel to be sent through Dante instead of the input channel?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

On the computer you have to open the Dante Controller and have to route the Output from the GLD to the input of the Dante Virtual sound card also. Otherwise no signal will be coming to your DAW (Reaper).
    You also have to route outputs from your DAW via the virtual soundcard to the inputs of the Dante Card on the GLD.
    That is the task you have to make with the Dante controller software, to rout Dante signals from one device to others.

The Signalpath form GLD Input to a DAW track would be
    GLD In Socket -> Dante Card Out on GLD -> DVS In on PC -> DAW track
    the first routing you have to do on the GLD
    the second in the Dante Controller
    and The third in the DAW

post or pre EQ?

It depends on your desires. On the GLD you can distinguish between Input sockets (the physical input connector) and Input direct outs (the direct out of an input channel). for the direct outs you can set the tap point (pre/post) globally (see page 15 of the reference manual) and the direct out send level via the routing page of the channel (see page 14 Chapter 3.15)

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

I managed to record e stereotrack in Reaper. But I’m not getting anything back on the GLD. On 2 mono tracks on the GLD I selected the I/O port on the channel. But in the section I/O it’s not clear what to select there. I have tried everything but no result. Logical would be that it is possible e.g. on I/O input to select I/O input 1 but there is no such possibility. On the contrary you can select I/O out wich is for no use I supposeā€¦

And I’m beginning not to like Reaperā€¦ It seems very complexe althoug they say it’s very user friendly and easy…

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Reaper is really simple in comparison to other DAWs. Using Dante is a little bit more complicated than using classical Audiointerfaces.

Reaper is communication with the DVS, the virtual Soundcard. You can define the routings between Reaper and the DVS in the routing page of Reaper in the same way as with any other hardware audiointerface.

The same situation you’ll find on the GLD. The GLD is communicating with the dante card in the expansion slot. You can route signals between those two logical devices.
    So far there is nothing special. The same game as with any other digital mixing desk with a multitrack aufio interface.
    But when using Dante there is an extra routing required. You have to define the signal paths between the Dante Card in the GLD and the DVS. This you have to do in the Dante Controller on your PC. There you find both devices as Senders and Receivers. The easiest routing would be a one to one routing between both devices in both directions. Then everything will be fine.
    Unfortunatly I am on the road so I am not able to post some screenshots from my Dante setup the next days. Maybe I find some time in the beginning of the next week.

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

Already thanks a lot for your reaction. Indeed the settings in the Dante Virtual Soundcard are a bit more complexe, but I think I understand it. For me a one on one setting is not necessary. What I would like to do is:

step 1) record a stereo track (keyboards (the complete arrangement);
    step 2) record the solo’s from another keyboard while listening to the first recorded stereo track;
    step 3) record some vocals while listening to the previous recorded tracks;
    and so on and on

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

Yes I did it šŸ™‚ I managed to record and playback in different tracks. One problemā€¦ every x seconds I see and here a little short tick that creates an overload. I also see (on the meters) and hear this when nothing is playing or recording. When recording the little crack/tick is also recorded šŸ™

Anyone any idea where this could come from?

Thanks in advance and already thanks for al previous feedback and help

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

If there are clicks or cracks hearable and visible you have to double check your digital sync settings. I am not at home and cannot check it but on the GLD itself you should use internal clock source and for the dante card you should set it to slave to external clock source (which would be the GLD clock). Remember that even if the card is placed in the GLD you have to see them as two more or less independent devices.
    Please read the documentation of the card and Dante carefully to handle sync issues.

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

Tried a lot, but still seeing and hearing those clicks.. :-s

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Ok, Now I can post some pictures:
    First on the GLD you should check the Audio Sync page, and it should look like in the Picture ‘GLD Audio Syn Settings.png’.
    Next You should open the Dante Controller on your computer and check the Clock settings. They should look similar to the image ‘Dante Controller – Network View.png’
    If both is correct there should be no clicks or cracks.
    If they still exists please publish your setup (either here or send me a PM).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

Hi there, thanks for the response. I have no more clicks. I think the problem was the sampling rate. In Reaper I changed it to 48000.

But I think I’m going to use another recording software. Reaper is too complexe.. Now I have problems with my routings: When I playback 1 stereo and 1 mono recorded track, it all comes back to 2 mono inputs on the GLD. The meaning is that it all commes back tot seperate channels. I thougt this was possibleā€¦?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Reaper is for me one of the least complex DAW which is powerful enough to do complex things;-) Nevertheless there are some things you have to know about routing in Reaper.
    First you can select in die Dialog ‘Audio device settings’ how much concurrent signals/channels you want to record and how much output sockets you want to use.
    Second you have to know that each input and output socket is available twice in the routing matrix. There is each socket available in mono and in stereo. for stereo input you can select each socket as the left one so that it is also possible to send a stereo track to the sockets 6 and 7 where 6 is the left side and 7 the right one.
    Third you have to know that the default routing is always to record mono from input socket 1 and to playback all via the Main Bus (called master out) of the reaper (it is also a software mixing desk) and the master out is routed to output socket 1 and 2.
    After opening the routing matrix (Menu Edit->routing matrix) you can see all tracks, and all inputs and outputs and know you can do the routing similar to the routing in the Dante Controller( for instance). The only thing which is not self explaining is that you can’t simple remove an existing routing by clicking in it. On Windows (my mostly used OS at the moment) you have to click on the routing while pressing the Alt-Key.
    For me it is quite easy to work with Reaper. Some colleagues are working with Waves tracks live to rackord and play back for virtual sound check. Its free and so you don’t loose money for testing it;-)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.