GLD Codecs Supported

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions GLD Codecs Supported

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bob Bob 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Anyone know why the current series of GLDs (especially 112s) don’t support any codecs other than wav when they use to support more? REALLY would like mp3’s?

Per https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/451/124/gld-what-codecs-are-supported-for-usb-audio-playback

“GLD-80 units shipped before 14th of June 2013 supported the following audio formats for USB playback: WAV > MP3 > MP4 (M4a, AAC) > FLAC”

Profile photo of johaennsan
    johaennsan
    Participant

IIRC I read somewhere, they actually changed the hardware of the USB-Soundcard in the desk. This would make it a hardware restriction. But I’m not 100% sure about this.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The parent company of A&H was different when the first run of desks was were manufactured, I think the issue was that the old owners had an MP3 license and the current owners don’t.

Chris

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

The first buyers paid also more for the desk.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

A FYI follow-up. I have been testing with various (non-wav) audio files and have been using Audacity to convert them to .wav files and so far, all tests have been successful. All you need to do is get a free download of Audacity, select File-Open and load the input file. Then select File-Export, select (Microsoft) wav and save. Then put that .wav file on an USB drive and the GLD will gladly see/play it. Remember .wav files are NOT small, so would suggest a multi-gig USB drive. Also remember to initialize (using format) the USB drive (fat 32) and use default block size. I normally do NOT use fast format to be sure that the USB drive is good.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.