GLD Chrome Edition. Thoughts?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions GLD Chrome Edition. Thoughts?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The title says it all.

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

It looks different.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Not a huge fan of the new look, but I can understand the need to attract attention to the hardware at upcoming trade shows. Repackaged (“special edition”) hardware is a conversation starter to highlight firmware updates and the new price point (that has had little marketing aside from full compass).

I still like the original colors more… Hope they are still available.

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

I like the look, although I also liked the purple/black motif of the original. It makes the GLD look a bit like the Midas M32.

I’m more concerned with the 1.5 software update. As an iLive owner, it now seems that the GLD in many ways surpasses the iLive; not in channel count, but certainly in the more numerous and varied effects, screen graphics (compressor models) and also the new Automated Mic Mixer. I plan to add a Waves Soundgrid setup to my iLve, and would gladly spend $750.00 (US) to have the Duggan Automixer for corporate or theatrical use. It seems now the GLD users get a similar product for free.

In the last several months we’ve see major software upgrades for the QU and GLD series. The code for these new features has already been written. It strikes me as wrong that the flagship should be lacking what the lesser models already have. Can Nicola give us any hints about upcoming plans for the iLive?

-Mark

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Hey Mark, there will be soon some great news about the iLive! I’ve heard something from a reliable source! I’m not able to say more than I know… But just wait a few weeks… 😉

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Today same day as GLD Chrome hits AH also released big promotion to us dealers on iLive. First time since being a dealer I have seen a promotion like this for selling ILive. Me thinks this is setting the stage for something happening in several ways.

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

Hi eotsskleet:

Thanks for the tip. As long as it’s not a fantastic new iLive II that renders all the original iLives obsolete, I’m good with just about any upgrade-free or not.

George: What type of promotion? Lower prices/surface-mixrack combo’s/free roadcase? A&H T-shirts?

-thanks, Mark

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The new firmware version looks great though I’m surprised at the visual similarity of the DBX160 things. If this is going to be a theme, I’d love a DPR404… I’m impressed that this is an option on every channel.

The new delay unit will allow me to take the M-One out of the rack and stick it on ebay. 🙂 I only really needed it for the longer delay times. THANK YOU FOR THE SEPARATE L/R DIVISIONS OF ONE TEMPO! No more problems with accuracy trying to tap in very small divisions.

I wonder if there’d be a market for “Chrome edition” knobs and fader caps…

Chris

Profile photo of theLoksta
    theLoksta
    Participant

I wonder if there’d be a market for “Chrome edition” knobs and fader caps…

Can anyone else see a similarity between the rotary knobs on the new Chrome Edition and the DiGiCo SD10..?

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/GLD80-Chrome-Front.jpg
    vs
    https://www.digico.biz/docs/products/SD10.shtml
    (the second picture within the High Rez Gallery)

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Absolutely, though they’re part of the same company now.

Chris

Profile photo of jb12string
    jb12string
    Participant

A few weeks? Like Musikmesse few weeks? 🙂

Profile photo of benniferj
    benniferj
    Participant

Quite tacky looking nobs… I like the original design of the GLD more to be honest. At least the hardware is still the same 🙂

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Pimp my GLD!! Where is X-ibit when you need him? Now for some undercarriage LED lights, color changing from the LR main output signal.

I am neutral on the new look actually. I would like to know if it is purely cosmetic or if there are ANY internal changes to the GLD80 Chrome vs my GLD80. Has there been a definitive statement from someone in the know? And just for my information, are both models now available and if so, are they the same price?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

My information is that old style will go away as supplies are gone.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

I would like to know if it is purely cosmetic or if there are ANY internal changes to the GLD80 Chrome vs my GLD80

No changes inside. Same machine, same price, different outfit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.