GLD-80 Editor Network Discovery

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting GLD-80 Editor Network Discovery

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vega
    Vega
    Participant

Hi,

all of a sudden the GLD Editor doesn’t find our GLD-80 anymore in the “Connect” menu/button. It worked flawlessly for years and we didn’t change a thing. The desk gets its IP via DHCP, is connected to the same switch as ever and controlled by the same notebook as ever. I can connect to the desk manually by looking up the IP in the routers DHCP table (where it is called “ubuntu”, not “GLD”), so the network connection is defintitely up. Also checked the Windows firewall, no success.

Since everything is basically set up the same as ever, I suspect that it has something to do with Windows Updates. Does anyone has any ideas? How does the discovery between editor and desk work? It’s not that I can’t work this way, but it is annoying and I am interested in what is causing this.

Thanks,
    Vincent

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Have you tried temporarily disabling the Windows firewall? If it works with the firewall disabled, then you at least know where to start looking further. That is my first suspect because the Windows updates modify the firewall settings. You can try adding the GLD Editor to the list of exceptions in the firewall too.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As a side note you may want to set a static IP address on the GLD.
    You’ll need to check the routers DHCP handout range and set the static IP
    address outside of the range.

Profile photo of Vega
    Vega
    Participant

Hey guys,

thanks for your suggestions!
    The only problem is the discovery, it is absolutely possible for me to connect to the desk manually by entering the desks ip. That rules out firewall issues. Basically my question is “why can I not see “GLD” in the connection dropdown menu anymore?”
    We have set up an address reservation for the desk, so it’s basically a non-issue at this point, but still I am interested in why the discovery stopped working out of thin air. I guess I will try some more switches/routers and see what happens.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

>The only problem is the discovery, it is absolutely possible for me to connect to the desk manually by entering the desks ip. That rules out firewall issues.

That is not true. I’m not sure how the discovery process works, but it’s likely using a UDP general broadcast, instead of a point to point TCP or UDP connection. Firewalls generally frown upon these types of “discovery” broadcasts.

I work for a software company that uses this exact same process for the clients to discover the server. With some firewalls you can connect directly to the IP, but the discovery process fails (gets blocked). When the firewall is turned off, it works, so yes it can be a firewall issue regardless of the fact that you can still make a direct connect. The connect mechanism and the discovery mechanism are two different processes, and it’s possible that one is being blocked, while the other is not. It only takes a moment to temporarily disable the firewall and test it. There really isn’t anything else that can prevent the discovery process while allowing the connection process other than a firewall. Any other issue would likely result in you not being able to connect at all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.