GLD-112 FOH to SQ-5 live stream connection

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions GLD-112 FOH to SQ-5 live stream connection

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GrahamF GrahamF 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Big Steve
    Big Steve
    Participant

Sweetwater suggested we buy a SQ-5 desk with Dante card to use as our live stream mixer. Has anyone done this with a GLD-112 as their FOH main desk? Both have Dante cards, and I am seeking info on how anyone accomplished the connection between the two desks. Also, does the new Dante card on the SQ-5 just see everything on the 112 and auto setup?

We have a mini network with a separate router just for the GLD and our cameras and PC so it is not on our main network output. Broadcasting is done on the PC through a secondary network card connected to our main internet stream in house with a separate IP.

I am guessing hooking the SQ5 to the internal network should auto see the GLD dante card, is that correct? Any suggestions on setup?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

The SQ5 will see the GLD’s Dante card, but the SQ5’s card will need to be set at 48kHz first from Dante Controller. Once that has been done, routing audio between the consoles is fairly straight forward. Make the patches in Dante Controller, then patch internally in the mixer(s) accordingly. You don’t have to do this, but keeping it in a 1-to-1 configuration on the Dante Controller side makes it easier to keep things straight later on (GLD send 1 to SQ recv 1, GLD send 2 to SQ recv 2, etc).

Profile photo of GrahamF
    GrahamF
    Participant

May I ask what problems you are aiming to solve with the SQ5?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

May I ask what problems you are aiming to solve with the SQ5?

Sound like he wants to set up a separate mixer for the live stream mix.
    I would flip them around and put the SQ on the main mix and the GLD on the live stream
    mix.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I’d recommend doing Level 1 of the Dante certification, it’ll teach you a lot about how it works.

It won’t just automatically make audio show up where you want it, but it does provide all the facilities you need to make that happen. You’ll need to choose which signals from your GLD you want to patch to the Dante card, then use Dante controller to patch the GLD card outputs to the card inputs in the SQ6.

Chris

Profile photo of GrahamF
    GrahamF
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I was thinking the same, or try to stretch to an SQ-6 for FOH.

The reason for my question is that there may be more than one possible solution to their problem – e.g. use Dante to feed all the input channels into a PC running a DAW such as Pro Tools with Waves plug-ins and send that to the stream. That would give more power to produce a really professional sound. However, I have never used such a set-up myself, so I don’t know how easy it would be to operate. The other disadvantage is that you have to train the sound engineers with a completely new skill set.

We are using a GLD-80 to run both FOH and a live stream quite successfully. Our problems with this are:

1. It is operationally complex to have different things playing in FOH and the stream – e.g. before the service we put recorded sound with a PowerPoint slide show of notices on the stream, but the church leaders would prefer live music in the church.

2. Last Sunday, our service leader went up to the microphone with 10 seconds left on the timer. Instinctively, I unmuted him and everyone waiting on the stream heard him asking the congregation to sit down, because we were going live in 10 seconds!

3. The limitation in the number of groups. Sharing groups across FOH and the stream means that they can’t have independent mixes, unless you top up the stream with individual channels.

Graham

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Are you using a dedicated mix/aux to create the live stream feed?
    If so that could be controlled with the GLD mix APP to independenly
    mix the live stream….at least in the mean time till you get a dedicated mixer.

Using a DAW would as you say be a new skill set and create it own issues.

Profile photo of GrahamF
    GrahamF
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Yes, the stream goes into a stereo aux output. We use the GLD Editor on a Windows laptop. That gives the stream engineer control over everything. We mix individual service leader and recorded music channels directly into the stream. The band now goes via three groups – drums & bass, instruments and vocals. The groups are routed to both Main LR and the stream stereo aux. The stream engineer can balance the groups against each other. If an input is too low in the group, he can top it up from the input directly to the stream stereo aux, but that is an undesirable complication.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If the group outs feed both the main and the stream mix you don’t really have independent mix control between the mains and the live stream.

Also it sounds like your combining the same inputs back together as in the groups
    are routed to the stream mix aux along with the same inputs directly on the stream mix aux.
    That can cause phase issues due to the slight latency difference in the routing paths
    combining together.

Profile photo of GrahamF
    GrahamF
    Participant

Thanks Mike,

Yes, I agree that feeding the groups to both FOH and the stream reduces independence. The problem is that the GLD-80 doesn’t g e enough resources for everything we want to do. I must admit that I had not considered the possibility of latency issues of the two signal paths.

Thanks,

Graham

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.