GLD-112 Dante Setup

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions GLD-112 Dante Setup

This topic contains 29 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Buy High DA PBN Buy High DA PBN 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Something that I have just noticed is that you have TWO clock leaders in your Dante controller. You should only have ONE. This could be the issue. Both GLD-112 and FH-AVIO are showing as clock leaders on the primary network. This could be a switch issue if you’re using managed switches. Check the IGMP snooping settings to make sure that they are properly configured on all of the switching between the GLD-112 and the FH-AVIO device.

Try removing the FH-AVIO device and then with it disconnected, see if you can get audio IN to your GLD-112 from your computer or something else.

Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

I updated the firmware for the GLD (from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2) and the firmware on the Dante card.

The GLD firmware update was a disaster. We had the shut down bug where it would immediately restart the GLD and have to be shut down again. And then the board would not sync one of our AR84 units. We ended up downgrading to 1.6.1 again. I’m surprised these issues haven’t been fixed in the year since 1.6.2 came out.

Still no Dante coming into the board. Dante goes out from the GLD to our Logic Pro multi-track no problem. Just won’t come in.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Did you address the TWO clock leaders issue?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

What kind of AVIO is the unit in question?

Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

I haven’t been able to solve the clock issue. I’ve been on other forums trying to solve that problem, but none of the suggested fixes work.

The AVIO is the Audinate Dante AVIO – Analogue Input Adapter 2-Channel.

Things have only gotten worse for us.

After updating to 1.6.2 the board wouldn’t sync one of the AR84s until we downgraded to 1.6.1., which was what we’ve been running for years.

Today when I looked at the multitrack from the GLD into Logic, every track has little glitches in it which cause audbile TICK sounds every few seconds.

Worse

I’m pretty frustrated. We love the GLD and aren’t in a position to spend $25k+ for a Yamaha board. From what I’ve read the SQ is a step down in functionality and the Avantis just seems like an expensive GLD.

Meanwhile, Allen and Heath is destroying my confidence in their equipment.

So, when all is said and done, we still can get Dante OUT of the GLD but not INTO the GLD. And now the Dante out going to Logic is giving us corrupted files.

Profile photo of SanjOk
    SanjOk
    Participant

Hi, everyone.

maybe we need to identify a leader?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

We did that. Still no change. We’ve tried making GLD preferred leader, or not. Some Dante resources suggest you always make your mixer the preferred leader, others suggest you don’t set the leader unless you have a specific clocking device and just let Dante choose.

Either way, with GLD selected as preferred leader, or with it not selected, both the GLD and the AVIO are always shown as the leader in Dante Controller.

SteffenR
    Participant

Regarding your software issue:
    You should connect the AR84 direct to the GLD to make sure the update performs as needed. With the AR2412 in between, it sometimes fails.

Regarding the spikes (clicks):
    That’s a clocking issue. If the clocking is broken, it could affect the complete system.

SteffenR
    Participant

Which sample rate is your Logic using?

The two clock leaders are indicating that two word clocks are used in your system.
    That’s why I asked for the 96kHz…

But maybe there is something wrong with the AVIO-2I

What happens if you don’t use the AVIO?
    Does your system/recording still have clicks?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Remove the AVIO from the network. Clicking will likely go away, and you might even be able to get Dante audio into the console.

Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

SteffenR – We tried connecting the AR84 directly to receive the update after we put the 1.6.2 firmware on the GLD. We tried many times. No matter what we did, we could only get two racks to sync at a time. Either An AR84 Local + AR84 Expansion or AR84 Local + AR2412 Expansion. No matter what we tried, on 1.6.2 it would not sync AR84 Local + AR2412 Expansion + AR84 Expansion.

We downgraded to 1.6.1 and now they are working correctly again.

Logic is running in 48kHz, like the GLD. We’ve used Logic to multitrack record from the GLD for years.

I’m going to remove the AVIO to see if the clicks go away. I haven’t had a chance to try that yet.

Scott – We’ll attempt. Though, the AVIO was the one method we had to get Dante into the board. We’ll try with another adapter that we purchased.

Thanks for helping us troubleshoot this, fellows. Appreciate you guys.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Looking at the Dante Controller log that you posted earlier in the thread, there seems to be an excessive amount of clock activity – locking clocks, unlocking clocks, changing primary clock leader, etc, etc, etc. I think this is because there is an underlying network issue that is causing the clocking to not be stable. Are you running Dante on a regular network with other non-Dante data on it? Obviously this is allowed, but it certainly is more problematic that creating a new network that only carries Dante traffic. This can be done by literally creating a separate network, or by using VLANs on an existing network with a “Dante only” VLAN.

I can’t say with 100% certainty that this would fix your problem, but I always have better results when I run Dante traffic on a “Dante only” network. Obviously Dante is designed to work on a network with non-Dante traffic, but you’ll need to go through the Audinate training and really nail down all of your network traffic options to ensure it works correctly.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

As Brian said there is seems to be a network issue. Shure has a good article of what to look for when you end up with multiple clock leaders. You can view that here: https://service.shure.com/s/article/dante-networks-and-igmp-snooping?language=en_US I suspect that this is the cause of the lack of inputs issue (especially when they are both leaders), and I am sure it is causing the popping noises.

Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

Thanks for the input everyone. Here’s my latest update…

Our Dante network is, currently, on our regular network. We’re in the process of separating it out.

Meanwhile, I set up a closed network where there was nothing but the GLD, our Mac Pro, and 2 AVIO adapters connected together. The problems all persisted.

We finally made a little progress when I plugged the GLD primary AND secondary ports into our network, in addition to the Dante Control port. Once I have all 3 ethernet ports on the GLD Dante card plugged into our network we were able to get audio into the GLD from an AVIO adapter plugged into the Dante network. BUT, the audio was very choppy no matter which AVIO we used or what the source was. Clearly a sync or clock issue.

With the GLD plugged in this way, it finally became the only clock leader, with the AVIO adapters being followers. But, now GLD won’t talk to the Mac Pro which is a major step backward. Dante Controller sees the Mac Pro, but won’t assign it or sync it.

Profile photo of Buy High DA PBN
    Buy High DA PBN
    Participant

Just for fun, have you experimented with assigning a different Dante source to one of those inputs? Give it a shot by routing audio from Waves Tracks into those two channels to check for sound.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.