GigaACE question

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions GigaACE question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tor tor 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but hoping anyway…
    If I have 2 DM racks (C or S series) I want to connect via GigaACE, one with a surface & the other acting as an input/output expander (no surface), do I need the option cards in both or just in the unit with the surface connected to its GigaACE port (ie connect to option card in rack A, and directly to the inbuilt GigaACE in the 2nd rack).
    Make me happy (and slightly less poor on my next purchase) and tell me it’s possible to do it with just the one option card 😉
    Guessing this is a Nicola question.

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

In both unfortuneately.

However, I think A&H ought to make it possible for the dLive racks to act as expanders for other racks. I don’t see any reason it should not be easy, as it would just be allowing for connection from DX port to DX port on DM and CM racks as well. The protocol is already there, and it would be very nice for large scale stuff, since we don’t have dual rack functionality.

A&H? 🙂

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Biggsounds,

You would need 2x networking cards to share audio between the two racks.
    Also, remember the Surface can only control one MixRack at a time. You would need to use Director or MixPad to control preamps on the second MixRack.

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

But theoretically, could you not open up for the possibility of using for instance a DM32 connected to another DM rack via the DX ports, to allow for audio and preamp control? Would be a nice way to scale systems 🙂

Biggsounds
    Participant

Are there plans to have dual rack control in future updates Nicola? In the current scenario I’d be more inclined to put a waves card in the second rack (to match what I’m already running), but I’d assume if dual rack is coming then Waves won’t support that – is there a reason to go GigaACE (and if so, will that be in the near future?$?

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Does one mixrack and bunch of DX not give enough I/O or channels? You still have space for 5 cards (if not going compact).

ddff

Biggsounds
    Participant

@ddff_lv I’m looking at getting another DM32 rack, which will be used for small shows on it’s own (control with iPad/Director/IP8’s), but if it’s possible to use it to add preamps and outputs to my existing DM32 then I have 2 64 input racks for festival splits etc (I have a DM64 rack already)… looking at the price difference between DM32 racks and a fully loaded DX rack just makes it more feasible to use the full rack to my mind – as @tor said above it seems entirely sensible that a DM rack could work as a DX rack with a simple software patch (“rack 1 is the DM control, rack 2 connected via DX cabling is DX rack…”) – it’s essentially just a dumb DM rack at its core, seems like it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to allow a DM rack to act as such (and definitely add a huge amount of flexibility to the dLive – big selling point there!!!). @Nicola_A&H looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that…

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

All, there is no plan to support Dual Rack I’m afraid.

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

But how about a DX functionality between mixracks? Would this not be A) easily implemented B) a great solution to the dual rack “problem” C) make you sell even more mixracks!! D) a great selling point on flexibility.

An not least it would be a space saving way to have a 64 input setup with separate FOH and MON rack/desk.

Come on, A&H, push the envelope and get even further ahead of the others! 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.