Getting sound to vMix

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Getting sound to vMix

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rich H Rich H 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rich H
    Rich H
    Participant

I am looking to send audio from my QU 32 to vMix and am wondering if I can do it over a Gigabit network connection?
    I want to combine sound and video on a PC some distance from my board. I can easily use the line in, but would much rather get the sound over a network connection.
    There must be some kind of app I can run on Windows that can reach the A&H board, I am not sure what my options are though.
    Thanks in advance or the help.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

There is no way to transfer audio from the board wirelessly. You could buy an AR84 stage box to place near your computer and use an Ethernet cable between them.

Side topic: has anyone tried using the dSnake wirelessly? Access point to access point?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

You could also buy a wireless audio transmitter/receivers.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

There is no way to transfer audio from the board wirelessly. You could buy an AR84 stage box to place near your computer and use an Ethernet cable between them.

Side topic: has anyone tried using the dSnake wirelessly? Access point to access point?

The stage box idea would work to get a some IO remotely, I would not trust it over a wireless network. Still would require dedicated cabling, they are not plug an play
    on a basic network.

He most likely only needs a couple channels of audio.
    I think this is case for analog balanced line audio runs with transformer isolation at the computer end.

Granted the cable run path through the building could be a challenge.

You could use Dante interfaces at each end and put the audio on the building network.
    It does require a certain level of network infrastructure to work.

Profile photo of Rich H
    Rich H
    Participant

Thanks Gary and Mike.
    My thought was because the iPad app can get sound, there must be a way to do it. I suppose If I went out of the iPad audio into a line in on the laptop, that would kind of work, but I wouldn’t really trust that.
    I am running a wired gigabit network for the video portion and had hoped it could carry the traffic. I only need to get one channel, the main send into the computer. I suppose I could do stereo for style points, but that would be lost on this particular audience.
    Maybe the stage box idea is the way to go.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

My thought was because the iPad app can get sound, there must be a way to do it.

What “sound” and iPad app are you talking about getting sound?

Profile photo of Rich H
    Rich H
    Participant

I could be talking out my… Rather, perhaps I am mistaken, but I could swear you could monitor PAFL in Qu Pad with headphones. Perhaps it was wishful thinking.

I did find some relatively inexpensive options. A Behringer um2 can take XLR/TRS and converts it to USB. It only has a bit depth of 16, so the dynamic range might be a bit off. They run around $50usd. Alternately a Steinberg UR22mkII is fairly similar but better built It runs at a bit depth of 24, so better in dynamic range. They run around $170.

So I can at least run an XLR line to the PC convert it to USB there and bring the sound in as a line in vMix.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I could be talking out my… Rather, perhaps I am mistaken, but I could swear you could monitor PAFL in Qu Pad with headphones. Perhaps it was wishful thinking.

That can’t be done, I’m not sure if anyone else has that feature on their mix app or not.

Any time I’m mixing via iPad and know a lot of PFL will be needed I just set up an IEM system and patch it either into the ALT OUT or an open output on the stage box.
    Either of those outputs can be configured to be the direct PAFL line.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@richh

bit depth has no real affect on DR even if you are a truly golden eared audiophile

@garyh

actually you *could* transfer audio by taking an out from the Qu into an FM transmitter to transmit locally
    Then an FM receiver into the pad or I have a non apple pad with FM built in as an ap
    quality would not be nearly as good but you could get the sound that way
    if it is going to end up on a livestream on utoob then it will still be better than 99% of what is posted there

Profile photo of Rich H
    Rich H
    Participant

Thanks all. for now, I think I am going to send a behringer. (there is a model up from the um2, the umc22. for $20 more it is not plastic and has some other minor upgrades to it. But for what I need it to do, William, I think you are right nobody with a golden ear in this crowd)
    Thanks all for the help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.