Gate Expander

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Gate Expander

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mike6
    mike6
    Participant

QU 24 is it possible to have a gate expander ??

Thanks

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

There are gates on every channel. There is not the option to switch them to downward expanders. This is a VERY desirable feature and has been requested many times.

Personally, I gate the kick drum and perhaps one or two other percussive sources. Gates on other channels are nearly useless as hard gating is audible due to their strict ON/OFF nature. Expanders are gentler, less obvious and can be used effectively on sources containing more than merely a heavy transient tone without bringing excessive amounts of other stage sound in and out of the mix.

The option to choose gate/expander can raise the bar on your mixes. If Presonus can do it, I’m sure A&H is capable.

Profile photo of mike6
    mike6
    Participant

It’s true, these are basic little things that are not difficult since it already has a gate and only change the dynamics. but it’s these little things that often make us think twice about buying an x32. for example

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of mike6
    mike6
    Participant

The error is repeated in the SQ

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

For me the sound is more important… so i prefer A&H … but is incredible the number of simply function less in QU, SQ, and above all in the GLD series.
    Like Sidedchain free to ch, and for example Ducking . i hate x32 but it have this simple feature.

I have qu 24 qu 32 and now i want buy gld 112, i wait the new firmware and I hope have new features to buy it!

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I get perfectly nice results using the onboard gates and carefully adjusting the available parameters tbh although I háve run into artifacts when I tried to let it reduce the gain by too many db’s. I now usually go 20 dB down and that’s just fine.

Giga

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.