Ganging

This topic contains 22 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Robby Robby 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Well, you have stereo channels, but no ganging. Please add that as every pair of channels is not necessarily stereo. (e.g. I gang a stereo guitar and bass [DI and amp] which both need separate controls, but 2 different faders which I then gang.

Profile photo of mixJM
    mixJM
    Participant

Ganging or linking parameters between channels would be great!

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

I support this idea.

ganging is a very useful thing, especially because in the SQ you can only define odd/even channels as stereo pairs. and then everything is linked, even the input gains. this is not helpful in all cases.
    so please: give us a ganging solution

Profile photo of Superorko
    Superorko
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

I still don’t understand why there is absolutely NO response from A&H on this matter. No “yes, we will bring that on next update”, no “that’s for some inexplicable reason not planned for SQ”. What’s it gonna be, A&H? This is a basic feature, the SQ is on the market for over 6 months now and not even a statement about this much discussed issue from you?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Jens-Droessler,

Sorry you seem so annoyed by this… as I have said in previous posts, this forum is really useful for gathering feature requests, and allowing users to ‘+1’ or discuss their merits and pitfalls.

Ganging of channels is on the request list, and will be included in a future firmware release, but we do not release details on what will definitely be included in any upcoming release as it’s subject to change right up until the end of testing, and there are often only hours between the end of testing and release.

Is it really a basic feature? or are you thinking of linking?
    You can already create stereo channels, which removes the need for linking and is why we’re now looking at ganging.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of alli
    alli
    Participant

Thanks for the answer Keith!
    One major workflow problem for me right now with the stereo-linking right now, that it’s not included in the scene file. This is so weird, I load an old scene, and nothing makes sense with wrong stereo channels somewhere. I think we have to set the stereo links like they were, before we load the “old” scene. This is so annoying… 🙁
    Please do something on that matter soon!

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Is it really a basic feature? or are you thinking of linking?
    You can already create stereo channels, which removes the need for linking and is why we’re now looking at ganging.

Creating stereo channels means that you hae to reconfigure the mixengine which causes a period of time where the console do not produce output. Something which is impossible during a changeover on a festival or on similar situations. Reserving some stereo channels is also not the answer because you reduce the amount of channels just to be save for the case you need stereo channels. Stereo channels do not allow you to have different gains for left and right or allows you to decide which parameters should be linked and which not.
    On the dLive you can use ganging to avoid these disadvantages. But on the SQ you have no real workaround.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

i think A&H is well aware that ganging is an important feature and we really need it to work.
    I would therefore be very surprised if this were not implemented very soon.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Keith, it IS a basic feature when there is no other way of creating a stereo channel on the fly that is saved in scenes and can’t only be used on an odd channel number and the following even. Yes, ganging as seen on dLive and iLive can do more than usual linking on other systems, but there are enough examples where functions can be left out of the linking (your own Qu would be an example for a rudimentary version of this) and even linking/ganging with relative fader positions. You’ve done this before, it’s no witchery and many many technicians need it for their workflow. Please don’t wait too long for this. Some people are even waiting for this before they buy or will buy something else if things like this won’t come in time.

Profile photo of TonmeisterDaniel
    TonmeisterDaniel
    Participant

+1 for ganging

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

You can do a form of ganging by using DCA’s to circumvent the annoying ONLY Odd/Even stereo channel linking (I would much prefer link ANY x channel with ANY y channel > “use identical channel parameters? yes/no”) – Done, that solves 99% of the problems.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

As this only “links” the faders, this is no replacement. Who wants to do EQ adjustments on one of the channels first while listening to both channels (while the second channel won’t change during EQing only the first) and then copy every change over to th second channel? Not me. Same goes for compressor and other commonly linked channel parameters.

Profile photo of Danny-Lan
    Danny-Lan
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of ianmoon
    ianmoon
    Participant

+1 For ganging

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.