Gain question between two consoles

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Gain question between two consoles

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wolfgang Wolfgang 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Danny1989
    Danny1989
    Participant

Hi guys. We have a dlive c3500 with the cm48 mix rack for main system and the SQ7 on the monitoring role. The connection between them it is through the mix rack and for the tie line I see the same channels on the two consoles. My question is, there is a way to separate the gain for each console or the are linked no matter what?
    Sorry my English guys I am from Cuba.
    Thanks

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Use Trim one one and Gain on other?

R

Danny1989
    Participant

No no. I know I can use trim at one and gain at the other one. What I meant is, if I turn up the gain on the main system it will affect the gain on the monitors and this for sure it’s a problem. Do they manufacturer thought about this? It would be great if the gain and trim auto compensate between them

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

to my knowledge, this trim compensation (gain tracking) only works between two dLives.
    but it would certainly be desirable if it would also work with dLive and SQ.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

So how about this: set the gain at a usable level at the master system, then use only digital trim on BOTH systems–don’t touch the gain after initial set.

Danny1989
    Participant

Yeah. That’s what we are doing now … but neither of the two technicians understand between them, and I am just the chief of the technical part at our theater and this issue it’s giving a really hard time. This is why my question went here!!!
    Do you understand me guys???!

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hmm, my expectation was that the signal of ‚ip direct out‘ on the first tap point ‚post preamp‘ would also be affected by the gain tracking( I am not expecting that the gain tracking is working on tie lines).But unfortunatly it is not. Not even if your tap point is later in the channel processing path. So I do not know where in this path the digital trim takes place. Or do I miss something.
    So the only remedy at the moment is to leave the gain untouched after the soundcheck. You can disable the accidental gain control by switching ‚preamp on surface‘ globally off. Then you have only access to the channel trim on both consoles.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

SQ has no gain compensation and digital ins @SQ (tie lines over SLink) only have a trim control

it is not possible to separate the gain since the gain would control the same preamp
    but the SQ has no control over the dLive preamps

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hmm, tell me something new.
    I am not talking about gain compensation on the SQ. Since the SQ do not know anything about the gain adjustment on the dLive its clear that this is impossible.
    I am talking about to pass the digital signal after the gain compensation of the dLive to the SQ.

Wolfgang
    Participant

The gain compensation in the SQ can only work if the dLive tells it by how much the gain in the dLive is changed.
    Since this does not seem to exist at least at the moment, no gain compensation can take place here.

A possible, simple solution would be, as Mfk0815 has indicated: if the level compensation for the send level would already be controlled in the dLive. But that would have to be programmed first.
    But that’s not given at the moment, so the only way to do that is to use the trick of hiding the preamp gain.
    But that doesn’t really help the threadstarter…

So here’s another approach:
    a purely passive microphone split on stage.
    This has two big advantages:
    – maximum autonomy: the preamps of the consoles work completely independent from each other!
    – maximum flexibility: no digital interface is needed, so it doesn’t matter which console you use – it works with all consoles, even with consoles from other manufacturers.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I did thinking about analog splitter, because they are inexpensive, simple and versatile. The only disadvantage is that then I cannot use my DX168/X‘s as sub snakes.

Wolfgang
    Participant

That’s a new approach. He didn’t mention DX extensions.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.