Gain Compensation

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Gain Compensation

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Is it possible to set the firmware to allow for increase of gain to be balalnced by a reduction to the mix outputs similar to the function in the Avid consoles?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

no
    gain compensation has nothing to do with mix outputs

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Sorry might have been a bad way of putting it, on the Avid consoles if there is aux outputs assigned to an input (ie foldback or in ears) and the gain is increased due to performer being at a lower volume than during sound check so the gain needed to be increased then the assigned then they would reduce their output accordingly. Note only theaux outputs not the Main L/R outpu

SteffenR
    Participant

on wich Avid console?

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

SC 48, D show and Profile all have had it for a long time even the new S3l and S6L have it, not an important thing but useful all the same.

SteffenR
    Participant

why should I assign an Mix Out to an Input? Don’t understand the feature…

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

input>gain>thru to>Mix Fader> Mix output……if gain at in put is changed(up or down) then the output level tracks in the reverse direction so the out put to that aux outputs remains consistent. otherwise it requires you to change the fader (and therefore the output) manually, unfortunately Avid call it gain compensation id probably call it gain tracking. Ill look up the description in their manual if you like it might be clearer.

SteffenR
    Participant

but this still makes no sense…

if you change microphone then you have to adjust gain to match your levels
    why should this get compensated for mixes? You have the same levels with a different microphone makes totally sense…

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

microphone doesnt change it usually is the performer changes part way through a show due to injury or other problem and the substitute has a voice at a different level. To maintain the same volume in the foldback or in ears when the channel gain is increased the output sends from the channel reduce to keep the level consistent and the same if the gain is reduced then the output sends increase to compensate. if the output is o then there is no change it only happens when the output is above zero. I dont have the manual with me but will look it up and see if it describes it better.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’m confused too.
    If you change gain during a performance, say, because the performer has got louder, why would that change not also be actually wanted in their IEMs? If you just want them louder in FOH just push the fader up?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I guess this is one of these want-to-have-all-meters-at-0db-discussion. Adjusting gain for a nice meter look without touching volume levels seems to be the only effect.
    …or I don’t get it either… 😉

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

So I get it. And I understand it. If you understand the whole “gain tracking” concept it is easily understood. Has much too do with the engineer messing around with gain structure on a channel strip. When he does it, he can much alter the aux mix that the musician is using as a wedge or in ear mix. Auto gain compensation would track that engineers change and compensate for that change by automatically changing the Aux mix(s). This is a pretty old concept. Not sure why some are having a hard time understanding. But to answer the original Question, there is no gain tracking or compensation within the QU series. The D-Live(and former I-live) has Trim on the surface to be a alternative. But to my knowledge, no A&H product offers Auto Gain Tracking/compensation. Please correct me if in error or wrong in my understanding….:)

Jeff

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I think A&H is working on completely different gain tracking- the one that would change trim on FOH console in case gain was changed on monitor desk.
    I hardly can think of application for the gain tracking within one console. It’s like increasing gain, but in fact not? Schroedinger would love that.

ddff

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

SoundCraft have ‘DOGS’ – Direct Out Gain Stabilisation.
    Basically any prefade output is automatically adjusted to compensate for gain changes…

Gives you the freedom to play with all the controls without having to simultaneously adjust a dozen outputs.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.