FX3 > Mix 1 on QU-16: What am I doing wrong?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions FX3 > Mix 1 on QU-16: What am I doing wrong?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Hi all

I posted a short time ago and someone gave me the great idea to send FX3 and FX4 to Mix 1 and Mix 2 to give me two extra FX returns (needed for certain songs in the band’s setlist). I’ve tried this and cannot see any way to get the sound from the mix channel to the LR main mix. Here’s what I’m doing.

1/ Setting FX3 (back panel) to Mix>Return and using Mix 1 as the input
    2/ In LR, Layers, I make sure Mix 1 is set to 0db on the fader
    3/ In Mix 1, make sure the Vocal channel I want to be effected by FX3 is up to the desired level on the fader, and the Master fader to 0db

And that’s as far as I got. Whatever else I tried, I couldn’t get the FX on Mix 1 to go to the main mix. I’m sure I’ve missed something obvious, but could really do with your much appreciated help to point out my error.

I love this mixer. So much so I got the AB168 to go with it! Seriously skint now, though.

Thanks again.

Roy

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Fx return faders.

Top layer.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Yeah sorry Bob, forgot to mention that FX3 return was also set to the desired level but this didn’t work either. I’ve also checked that the channels are not muted.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Then it has to be routing.

Input signal present on dry channel?
    That channel routed to mix 1? Post fade?
    Fader for input channel fader up (at 0 for test) whilst Mix1 selected.

Then check on the meter screen that mix 1 has signal.
    Also check that the FX return has signal.

Then go to the FX return and unassign it from mix 1 (safety) and check that it is assigned to LR.
    Then raise the fader whilst the LR mix is selected.

In theory that should be it – how far *is* the signal getting?

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Thanks Bob – will check that this weekend and let you know.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Figured it out now… the send was on prefader. Set this to post fader and voila. It all works. BUT here’s an interesting thing. I tested this on mix 7-8, 9-10. For the same effect, with all faders set pretty much the same, I was getting horrendous feedback on 9-10, but 7-8 no feedback at all. I am perplexed as to why there is a difference. ..

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

feedback – implies an internal routing loop.

Was the FX return patched to the mix feeding the FX?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.