Fx to monitors

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Fx to monitors

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of odesr odesr 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of odesr
    odesr
    Participant

Hi everybody,
    I recently bought a Qu-16. Just one question (despite a close reading of the manual and some hours spent on the console). I can send Fx to the LR mix, but not to the mix1-10. Is it impossible to do that ? To specify my request, let’s imagine that the singer wants a reverb in his/her monitor, but that I don”t want to add a reverb to his/her channel in the PA (i.e. LR mix). to make things even more complicated, imagine that every musicians ask the same, making it impossible to use the channel>returns or insert patches. No solution ?
    My idea is to use FX1 to feed the LR a and Fx2 to feed the monitors (mix1-10). But despite my attempts, I can’t feed the mix-1-10 with the Fx. Fx returns are assigned to the mix1-10 and faders are on. I’m giving up the hope to find a solution.
    Thank you to everyone who could help.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

So, as FX2 is not going to the main mix, I guess the fader is down. Are the mix group sends set to pre-fade?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Press the top layer. With send returns and masters.
    Press mix 1 and others. Check to see if returns are down. That usually the problem.

Profile photo of odesr
    odesr
    Participant

Thank you for your answer. Yes the Fx2 is going to the main mix (LR). But I don’t want to. I want it to go to the mix1-10 only. Yes the mix group sends are set to Pre-fade.

Profile photo of odesr
    odesr
    Participant

Yes the returns are up. And still no reverb in the mix… (edit: yes I can hear the dry sound of the LR that returns in the mix but 1) it’s vey low and 2) it’s dependent of the LR mis, and U don’t want to).

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Email me your scene file.

george@midcommav.com

Another thing. Go to the top layer. Press assign. Are the select buttons lit or not? Lit means on. Not lit means off. Set LR to off if you do not want in LR mix or pull faders down. Assign on in Aux mixes and bring faders up. I had another user had that problem. He sent me his file. Sure enough. His assign buttons for returns were off on the Aux mixes therefore no FX into those.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Odesr,
    I do this all the time,
    use a reverb for the mains and a separate reverb for vocals in monitors.

Obviously, every musician can not have his own reverb, there just is not enough FX buses for that.

Choose a reverb for FX2.

reverb effect

From the “Back Panel” button, choose “Mix->Return”.

Return.png” alt=”mix” />

Select the FX2 (blue button) to the right of the L/R fader,

effects

the faders will move and their position will indicate what is turned up into this FX.

On the left-hand side of the mixer, press and hold the “Prefade” button,

prefade buttons

you want all the green Select buttons to light.
    If they don’t, keep holding the Prefade button and individually push every “Sel” button to make all the channels green (lit),
    this will prevent the L/R faders from controlling levels of this FX2 reverb that you will use for monitors.

Now do the same thing, holding down the “Assign” button on the left-hand side of the mixer. All green “Sel” buttons should be lit.

Now, move each channel’s fader to the desired amount of reverb that you want to send to the “FX2″….. for monitors.
    Also, make sure that the FX2 master fader is turned up at least halfway.

Almost done, choose the top “layer” select button.

layer select buttons

Push the mix select button (right-hand side of mixer) of the monitor mix where you want FX2 reverb to be heard. Turn up the FX2 “return” fader to the desired level for that mix,… repeat this for each musician’s monitor mix that wants vocal reverb.
    Each time you elect a different mmix, the FX2 Return fader will move to reflect the level of FX2 heard in the mix selected.

Don’t forget to UN assign the FX2 Return from the L/R mix.
    To do this, push the green L/R “Sel” button just above the L/R master fader.

Now push the bottom layer button for main mix,

layers

next, push the FX2 mix select button (blue)
    to un-assign FX2 return from L/R, push and hold the assign button, (left-hand side of mixer) the green “Sel’ light on FX2 Return should not be on, if it is, keep holding “assign” and tap the FX2 Return Sel button till the L.E.D light goes out.

Finally, you will have a dedicated reverb for monitors, but you must realize that when Bill asks for reverb in his monitor, and Jane wants reverb in her monitor too, the reverb will contain all the vocals that are “sent” to this common FX2 reverb.

I hope this is not confusing but helpful and clear.
    Dan

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

after the picture of the reverb the back panel can be seen here…

mixer

ALSO,,,,

near the end of my post I said…

“Now push the bottom layer button for main mix”

that should have read,…

Now push the top layer button

Profile photo of odesr
    odesr
    Participant

Thank you very much Dan. You fixed a lot of my problems. First my FX2 channels were set on post-fader. Second I didn’t unassigned the Fx2 return from the LR mix. Now it works almost like I want to. I have a reverb mix for the mix1-10 and another for the LR mix.
    Last trouble. On a given mix – say mix 1, I can hear two signals : the wet and the dry. If I put the channel fader down, I do not hear the dry anymore, but I continue to hear the wet. Is this what you meant by :

when Bill asks for reverb in his monitor, and Jane wants reverb in her monitor too, the reverb will contain all the vocals that are “sent” to this common FX2 reverb

In any case, thanks again!

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi odesr,
    that is correct because the FX2 faders are set to pre-fader.
    If the FX2 faders were set to post-fader, then as you raise and lower the L/R fader for Jane, the reverb level of Jane’s voice would change in everyone’s monitors.

This of course is not a perfect fix, but does allow some reverb in monitors and it does give the freedom to the front of house engineer to mix reverb to his/her own taste for the audience.

Having only one reverb for everyones monitors is not ideal but is better than none. 🙂

Glad to help!
    Dan

Profile photo of odesr
    odesr
    Participant

mmm. OK. For the L/R mix, Fx are set to post-faders. Certainly not a big deal to make this optional for the Mix. May be in 1.6…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.