FX to Matrix

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting FX to Matrix

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of andrew_newsound
    andrew_newsound
    Participant

Hi all,

I understand that the following is available to apply to a matrix send: delay, Trim, Polarity, Insert, PEQ, GEQ and compressors.

I’m using the matrix for live streaming a church service and would like to add extra reverb on top of the reverb I add to individual channel strips. Is this possible?

Thanks!
    Andrew

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hey Andrew,

Absolutely! If you use any effect as an insert (including Reverb), you will see Dry/Wet level controls at the bottom right.
    By adjusting these, you will be able to add as much or as little reverb to the stream mix as needed.
    A common approach would be to set dry at say, -2dB and then bring up the wet level to taste.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Keith.

andrew_newsound
    Participant

Thanks Keith – I’ll give that a go.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I assume your wanting to make your live streams sound more “live”.

Another idea to maybe try would be to put up a couple ambience mics in the room, pan them left and right, not a hard pan maybe around 50% or so, and mix those mics in to the live stream mix. I would also high pass them upwards to a 200hz.

If your live PA is still turned on (I’m guessing your sanctuary is empty at this time) do not feed the room mics into the main PA feed mix.

andrew_newsound
    Participant

Thanks Mike – I’ve put a couple of mics up already and HPF around 175hz.

Keith – is there anyway to have a quick mute button mapped somewhere for the insert? For example, when we play music from the computer or play a video we don’t need the additional FX. We don’t really want to have to go into the FX section everytime to turn it off.

Thanks again,
    Andrew

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What is the mix source to the matrix that your sending to the live stream, is it picked off of the main L R mix or are you using a mix/aux to feed the matrix that feeds the live stream?

If your using a mix/aux to feed the live stream matrix you could insert the reverb on the mix out, then send that mix/aux to the matrix, for the computer playback use another mix/aux with only the computer and any other sources that you do not want to add any reverb to, send that mix to the live stream matrix with no insert effects.
    Nothing to remember to mute and un mute that way.
    It does use up two of your mixes though.

You would want to set those mixes all post fade post processing. If you set the mix levels all the same those mixes will track what you do on the main mix.
    Using a separate mix/aux for the live stream will let you make a some mix balance changes to what is going into the live stream.

Are you only mixing for live stream at this time?
    If so you may want to reference the mix on some small basic speakers and not the main PA system.
    Maybe your already doing that!

andrew_newsound
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas.

I’m currently running the MainLR and an AUX into the matrix. I learned from online that sometimes you’ve got to feed the speaking mics in twice over otherwise you get a drop in volume.

Running an extra compressor on the matrix to smooth out the peaks and EQ to get a better streaming sound.

I might try it without the extra reverb for now and just the room mics and see how I go…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I’m currently running the MainLR and an AUX into the matrix. I learned from online that sometimes you’ve got to feed the speaking mics in twice over otherwise you get a drop in volume.

Running an extra compressor on the matrix to smooth out the peaks and EQ to get a better streaming sound.

Try just the aux mix feeding the matrix for the live stream, no real need to “double buss” it.

You do want to compress the live stream mix and even roll off some of the low end, keep
    in mind what most people these days will be listening to the live stream broadcast on, phones, lap tops with built in speakers, iPads.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.