FX SLOTS LATENCY

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions FX SLOTS LATENCY

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of eric85ITA eric85ITA 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of eric85ITA
    eric85ITA
    Participant

Hi all! I really find dynamic plugins pack very good, and it’s amazing distressing a drum kit with multiband compression…. but i’d really like to put it in parallel together with the flat one on my master LR bus. Has anybody found the latency value that occurs in the fx slot to perfectly phase align by the sample the group that goes straight to LR. I mean some Smaart measurement (or similar software), something mathematically perfect, because doin’ it by the ear is not the same .. Thanks

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Hi eric85ITA,

I did a small test some months ago with the dynamic eq.

My setup was:
    – 1 source routed in parallel to master and in 1 group
    – no processing engaged on channel and mix
    – dyn eq in a fx slot and set in the insert of the group
    – master mix routed to an USB pair
    – group routed to an other USB pair
    – record in my daw in 2 stereo tracks at 96 KHz

Finally I had found around 0,2 ms between the master track and the group track.

eric85ITA
    Participant

Hi Flo84! Thanks a lot! 0,2 is very good… i will check it asap

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @eric85ita,

If you insert a multiband compressor (or any FX unit) on a channel or group, you can also mix Dry and Wet versions directly in the FX screen.

Cheers,
    Keith.

eric85ITA
    Participant

yes, thanks Keith! but when i start to pull up the dry level, the sound gets kinda phasey like if the wet and dry paths are not phase aligned inside the slot itself..

eric85ITA
    Participant

.. maybe it’s because a multiband comp has it’s own phase shift, due to the split of the bands with crossovers slopes…

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

It’s not perfect because depend your fx type ad the settings values precision but in complement you can try “the null test” to have an idea of the timing difference :
    – set a source from your computer for example (it’s more friendly than a mic because you can repeat a lot) to 2 channels
    – set 1 channel with normal polarity and the other with reversed polarity
    – send 1 channel to the master mix, the other to a group. Send the group to the master mix
    – increase the level for the 1st channel
    – increase the level for the 2nd channel until you cancel completely the sound you hear (if you jump the sweet spot the sound level will increase again). Now if you switch the 2nd channel polarity to normal you will hear the sound 🙂 back to reversed polarity for the next
    – set an Fx like dyn eq and set it as an insert on your group
    – when you active the insert on your group the sound will reappears because fx processing retard the signal
    – to find an approximate delay value, select the channel routed to the master mix and apply a delay. Find a value to have the least sound level

It’s just and idea, clearly not perfect for different reasons but we have time to test things right now. 🙂

Maybe you already knew all that… You can also use this test to hear your EQ (not necessary to use group for that).

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi Flo, Hi Eric,
    I did some latency measurements and got the same result with 280 micro seconds = 0,28ms.
    I do not own the deep processing plugins, so I insertet any FX, then close the wet path and open only the DRY path.
    So I can confirm your measurements!

Greetings,
    dd

eric85ITA
    Participant

Hi Flo, hi 22fuzzi! Sorry for my latency in answering you 😉 but only today i had the possibility to make some tests on my Sq5, and i found that the “perfect” latency to align a signal that is not going to an fx slot to another one which is, is 0.23ms …. I sent 2 channels in a group, the first is goin thru an fx slot, the second is not. With signal generator i put pink noise in both of them (everything flat and disengaged, no hpf and no tube preamp) and i PAFL’d the group with the rta and i see that the signal is almost perfectly summed when the straight channel is delayed at 0.23ms. If i set it to 0.28 i get big cancellation at 10k. Maybe every desk is different on it’s own and every FPGA has this minimal difference. So it’s no problem once found out. Thanks!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.