FX Send -> local Output

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions FX Send -> local Output

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ioTon ioTon 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi everyone,

As far as I understand the SQ I/O, it’s not possible to route the FX send Bus to any physical Outputs?
    I want to do Reverbs etc external (via Dante Card or via local Analog Outputs), while using the FX Slots for Insert Processing.
    Sure, i can use an AUX mix Bus, but i’ll need them for inears.

BUT: There is a possibility to route the FX Returns to physical outputs!
    Whats the idea behind?
    When do i need the FX Return Outside the Desk?
    Would make mor sense to use the FX Return as Input Channel (also not possible…)

greetings,
    dd

Thank you guys for tuning and tweaking this console!

Profile photo of pedromigcruz
    pedromigcruz
    Participant

I think this one can bump up from the dead…

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

BUT: There is a possibility to route the FX Returns to physical outputs!
    Whats the idea behind?
    When do i need the FX Return Outside the Desk?

When multitrack recording I grab the FX separately if I can.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

No one else would like to route FX-Send busses out of the console – let’s say to waves or liveprofessor?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

It just comes down to how A&H has set up the architecture of this board. Certainly if enough people ask for this feature, they might add it in the future.

I have two thoughts on this however. First, it is much more common to want to add “out of the box” FXs to the individual channels than a group of channels because you probably aren’t as limited with regard to the number of available FX channels. For example, it is better to add reverb to each individual drum channel (or vocal channel) than it is to combine multiple channels into a single FX/aux send and add a single reverb to the whole group of drums (or vocals). We rarely want to use up 5-10 internal reverbs for our drum shells which is why we use the FX buss instead of inserts. But when we are “out of the box”, it isn’t as big of a concern and using 5-10 drum reverbs this way isn’t as big a deal – especially with snapshots, etc.

Second, this is really just a limitation on some consoles (obviously it does effect the SQ series). On the Avantis and DLive models, you set the buss architecture up however you want it. So using an aux send to route things to an “out of the box” solution like Waves or Liveprofessor instead of trying to use an internal FX send works just fine and doesn’t change the total number of busses being used due to the flexible buss structure of those two product lines. Obviously it is a little different on the SQ series because the architecture is hardcoded. You can’t change a FX send to be a Aux send like you can on the higher product lines.

Profile photo of andiabwaerts
    andiabwaerts
    Participant

What I do is load up an ADT into a FX RACK, set all the parameters to a minimum and route the RACK FX OUTs to liveprofessor over dante as an FX SEND to an external FX like a Reverb (UAD480, ECHOBOY, etc.).

Works well and gives me back my heavily needed Buses for Monitoring and IEM.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi andiabwaerts,

OK, but this is really an ugly workaround…

I my case I want to use more DeEsser slots, and therefore I need the FX slots.
    Midas is able to process 8 channels of deEsser in one FX slot. So this is a big disadvantage of SQ series: I had to buy the deEsser an could not use it in higher channel count.

Therefore the FxSend to IO is for me a very important feature request.

greetings
    dd

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.