FX Routing Question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions FX Routing Question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ric4001
    Ric4001
    Participant

I’ve recently taken the plunge from analog to the digital age with a QU-32. I absolutely love the QU. I’m getting on pretty good with everything but the FX routing. I’ve read and searched but to no avail. Two things I can’t understand. Why do the faders on the FX returns not work? If I mute the return channel it mutes the FX but the fader does nothing. And then my second question is. Can I route the selected FX(FX1, FX2, FX3, FX4) to a channel? In other words. With the analog board the FX return was sent to a channel and was controlled there. Can I do it on the QU ? I’m sure this pretty basic stuff, but I just can’t get my head wrapped around this part of the routing. I just want to be able to control my FX on the input layer. I can send the FX to a DCA and or a mute group. But that’s not the way I’d like to do it. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I don’t know why you FX return faders don’t work – are you sure you’re not listening to a signal routed Pre-Fade?

The effects returns are already channels (though without gates, comps or delay). They are just on a different layer.

You can setup the custom layer (see section 11.6 on Page 66 of the 1.9 manual) to include them.
    Personally, I like to put all effects sends on one DCA and put that in the custom layer, then use an iPad for the changes to each one, as I find that quicker than on the desk.

Profile photo of Ric4001
    Ric4001
    Participant

Mark; Thank you for your reply. I’ll have to check my settings on the fx return. I’m sure they are set at post fader but of course I may be wrong. I’ll surely double check. I understand using the DCA and the iPad but was also hoping for a route to the lower layer and just routing the FX to a channel. I saw on the FX back panel I believe routing options but when selecting an input channel nothing happened. Again, lack of knowledge I’m sure.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Just as a comment – you don’t send signals to a DCA…
    With anything on DCAs you very quickly run the risk of things not working, it’s so easy to leave a DCA down accidentally.

It’s usually why I have issues…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Yep, no need to use DCA at all if you don’t want to. The temptation to use everything on a digital desk often causes more problems than it solves!

In this case, the user layer would seem like the best solution. Just set up the inputs you use, and the effects returns where you want them, and use that layer as your main one.

Profile photo of Ric4001
    Ric4001
    Participant

That’s kind of my question here. How do I route the fx to the main layer? Can I route them to ch. 25, 26, 27 and 28 for instance? For me it’s not a big deal but other users don’t have access to an iPad.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

No, you cannot change the input signals to the main layer channels. The Custom Layer is completely configurable so you can lay out your board as you please, including FX returns to any fader on that layer.

Profile photo of PEJ
    PEJ
    Participant

When you say “why do the faders on FX return not work?”. Do you mean that they do not change levels or simply do not produce effects?

I struggled early on to get any effects at all. You have assigned channels to the LR mix, but you ALSO have to assign the same channels to the FX. Press FX1 on select mix (on right) then holding the assign button on the left, Select the channels you want the FX1 to apply to and then raise the channel sliders. Excuse me if I misunderstand your issue.

Peter

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

FX routing is similar to any other signal. There are FX sends, an FX unit, and FX returns.

(I’m ignoring inserts and channel/mix -> return for now)

Channels you want in the FX must be routed (normally post fader) to an FX bus, that bus then needs an FX unit added and set up.

The Channel needs to be up in the main mix, so that there is post fade signal sent to the FX. Us. This signal can be seen on the FX send ‘channel’ on e top layer of the QU.

The FX should then operate and a modified signal will be available on the FX return faders – these can then be routed, as any channel, to wherever you need them – probably FOH mostly… but do not route them back to the FX unit…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.