FX Questions on QU16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions FX Questions on QU16

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Haughton David Haughton 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Hi Guys

I’m getting really confused over FX settings and what this unit is capable of at the moment and have some questions.

1) Why can I hear FX on FOH when FX channel faders are all the way at the bottom?

2) Is it possible to have FX on a monitor mix when its NOT turned up on a FOH channel (For instance band member wants reverb on his monitor mix but its an outdoor festival and I’m not using any reverb FOH as there’s plenty of natural reverb)

3) Is it possible to adjust FX PER CHANNEL on a monitor mix or is it just added to the whole mix? (For instance singer wants reverb on his vox in his monitor mix but none on anyone elses vox/guitars/drums etc that he can hear)?

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

1.) Not sure. It could be that you’re using an FX engine as an insert instead of send-return. If you upload your scene file someone could have a look at it and try to figure out what’s going on (not me though, I don’t have access to a Qu atm. Please A&H, bring out an offline editor.)

2.) Yes. You can insert a reverb processor across the whole mix, or you can route a reverb return to the mix and just pretend its another input channel, and adjust its level using sends-on-faders, like any other input channel feeding that mix.

3.) Yes. You’ll need to play around with pre/post settings depending on your workflow though, and possibly use one reverb engine for monitors, a separate one for FOH (and hope you don’t run out of FX engines too quickly.)

coffee_king
    Participant

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the response.
    Have you answered 2 and 3 the wrong way round. I’ll assume you did.

I said:
    1) Why can I hear FX on FOH when FX channel faders are all the way at the bottom?

You said

1.) Not sure. It could be that you’re using an FX engine as an insert instead of send-return. If you upload your scene file someone could have a look at it and try to figure out what’s going on (not me though, I don’t have access to a Qu atm. Please A&H, bring out an offline editor.)

My new response:
    Here is my scene if anyone can have a look at it please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thgdwguo96oemed/SCENE000.DAT?dl=0

I said:
    Is it possible to have FX on a monitor mix when its NOT turned up on a FOH channel (For instance band member wants reverb on his monitor mix but its an outdoor festival and I’m not using any reverb FOH as there’s plenty of natural reverb)

You said

Yes. You’ll need to play around with pre/post settings depending on your workflow though, and possibly use one reverb engine for monitors, a separate one for FOH (and hope you don’t run out of FX engines too quickly.)

My new response: I thought you might say that about using two seperate FX’s to achieve this. is there no other way as otherwise I’ll have to use an extra FX that I’m using elsewhere?

I said
    Is it possible to adjust FX PER CHANNEL on a monitor mix or is it just added to the whole mix? (For instance singer wants reverb on his vox in his monitor mix but none on anyone elses vox/guitars/drums etc that he can hear)?

You said

Yes. You can insert a reverb processor across the whole mix, or you can route a reverb return to the mix and just pretend its another input channel, and adjust its level using sends-on-faders, like any other input channel feeding that mix.

My new response: How do I do this please?

So can anyone advise further please?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

1. your routing seems to be wrong for the task

Send & Return: Channel > FX Send (pre post ???) > FX engine > FX Return
    Insert: every processing channel has an insert that could be configured to feed an FX engine and sending back the signal to that channel again

cornelius did answered question 2 and 3 in the right order. all correct here.

2. correct your routing to match the task
    use it as a pre fader send then it is always independent from the return channel fader
    the FX returns are inputs as well and they act like normal channels except they have no delay and no dynamics and the input patching is restricted

3. if the singer needs an exclusive FX then you should use an exclusive FX engine, that’s it

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Just downloaded your scene so whilst I have my desk handy I will load it up and take a look at it for you and see where you’re going wrong. Will correct it also.

🙂

coffee_king
    Participant

Just downloaded your scene so whilst I have my desk handy I will load it up and take a look at it for you and see where you’re going wrong. Will correct it also.

Hi Lee7
    Did you manage to get anywhere with this?
    Cheers

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi @coffeeking I’ve had a look at your scene file.

Looks like you have sends for mixes 7-8 + 9-10 set to prefade. I’d suggest setting to postfade to maintain their relationship with LR.
    (otherwise, when you turn down inputs to LR, they will still send to FX if prefade!)

Also, your FX return assignments should be off into their own mix sends. e.g. unassign FX return 3 from Mix send 7-8, and FX ret 4 from send 9-10.
    I also noticed that you have FX1 return assigned to FX1 send.

So in answer to your questions:
    A: Make sure FX sends are All Post in Routing > Mix Send settings. FX returns still come into the main LR mix…

2) Is it possible to have FX on a monitor mix when its NOT turned up on a FOH channel (For instance band member wants reverb on his monitor mix but its an outdoor festival and I’m not using any reverb FOH as there’s plenty of natural reverb)
    A: You can turn down or unassign the FX returns in the LR mix. In theory there should be less reverb if you’re outside, unless you’re in a canyon!

3) Is it possible to adjust FX PER CHANNEL on a monitor mix or is it just added to the whole mix? (For instance singer wants reverb on his vox in his monitor mix but none on anyone elses vox/guitars/drums etc that he can hear)?
    A: Use the FX returns to send FX to a particular monitor send. e.g. Push up FX1 return in Mix 1 to send that effect to the monitor.

I’ve attached the changes to your scene so you can have a look.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. Harry.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.