FX not working on SQ7

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting FX not working on SQ7

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jon Jon 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Hi guys. Newbie here. So right now I can only get FX1 working on the SQ7 mixer. I would like to be able to get the other 3 FX’s working. Could someone please tell me what the routing should look like and should I be doing anything in the IO screen. I try to stay away from that area 🙂 I even tried clicking on the scene that the installers saved and still nothing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what information you need. Thanks so much. I have looked at a ton of videos but still cannot resolve it. Thanks again.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

There are actually a quite few reasons an FX would not work.
    How are you apply the FX, through the FX send and returns by hitting the FX
    mix buttons or are you trying to insert an FX directly on a channel?
    I would use the FX mix option.

Have you kind of back tracked the routing path for the working FX1 and compared it
    two the others?

Are the FX send masters tured up?
    On the channels you want to add additional FX to are the FX sends on those channels up?
    Are the FX returns turned up?
    Are the FX returns assigned to the main mix?
    Are there FX processors loaded into the FX slots?
    What is the FX processor input output patching?

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

How are you apply the FX, through the FX send and returns by hitting the FX
    mix buttons or are you trying to insert an FX directly on a channel?
    I am using it on one channel. I have also tried it on a mix channel. Same issue.

I would use the FX mix option.

Have you kind of back tracked the routing path for the working FX1 and compared it
    two the others?
    Sort of. I have compared FX1 to all the others and everything seems the same. Obviously I am not looking in the right area.

Are the FX send masters tured up? Yes
    On the channels you want to add additional FX to are the FX sends on those channels up? Yes
    Are the FX returns turned up? Yes
    Are the FX returns assigned to the main mix? Not sure
    Are there FX processors loaded into the FX slots? There are 4 different FX processors on the FX screen. When I click on the back they all look the same as the first one. Granted for FX 2 it is FX2 return etc. They are all sent to mix I believe. It is at work so I am not positive but they all look fine. I also see levels go up on some of them and I do not hear any change. I also have other FX where I do not see levels.
    What is the FX processor input output patching? Not sure what that means. Sorry. probably my problem. 🙂

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The FX IO patching is the “back” of the FX processor, sounds like you checked that and it sounds like that is OK.

For an FX like reverb, delay ect. those are just about always used with a mix send putting them in parallel with the source channel instead of a direct insert that puts it in series with the channel and that more or less dedicates the FX just to that channel.

Do you level on the FX send master?
    Do you see level on the FX return?

If you PFL the FX send master do you hear the audio from the channels you have the FX sends turned up on?

If you PFL the FX return channel do you hear the audio from the channels you have the FX sends turned up on?

Do not turn up the FX send level on the FX return channel that will create a big feed back loop!

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi Jon,
    my feeling is that you are really new and I am wondering what videos you refer to. Using Send FX is really simple and you cannot do much wrong. My suggestion:

1. Do a factory reset of your SQ to be sure you did no “strange” settings, see here: https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4402934178961-SQ-hard-reset

2. Here is the “official” tutorial playlist on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1WkHNs52NI&list=PLq3_zC_Xz0Pg94Yu1qioOEEJw2pxhdHP8
    I would recommend to watch them all as a starting point, but that one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0tJRe0sjgo&list=PLq3_zC_Xz0Pg94Yu1qioOEEJw2pxhdHP8&index=4 shows how to use the FX.

If then you still have problems with FX, then my only idea would be a strange hardware problem.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Thank you for your suggestions.

1. I am quite trepidations about doing a hard reset. I fear I will screw things up more. 🙂

2. Yes I have watched his videos multiple times. He makes it seem so simple. I’m like I literally do the same thing and it still does not work. I have watched that playlist multiple times along with other videos. I have learned a lot from youtube unfortunately I just don’t use the mixer enough.

3. I am assuming I screwed something up as I am still learning how to use this mixer. That is not to say there could be something wrong with the thing but I am leaning towards I unchecked something in some layer.

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

The FX IO patching is the “back” of the FX processor, sounds like you checked that and it sounds like that is OK.

For an FX like reverb, delay ect. those are just about always used with a mix send putting them in parallel with the source channel instead of a direct insert that puts it in series with the channel and that more or less dedicates the FX just to that channel.

Do you level on the FX send master?
    Do you see level on the FX return?

If you PFL the FX send master do you hear the audio from the channels you have the FX sends turned up on?

If you PFL the FX return channel do you hear the audio from the channels you have the FX sends turned up on?

Do not turn up the FX send level on the FX return channel that will create a big feed back loop!

When I get to work Monday I will investigate further and try out your suggestions. Do you need me to take any pictures of anything? Thanks again Mike.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Pic of the routing screen for a channel you want to add the FX and the routing screen for the FX return could be useful.

You can easy check the routing by holding the assign button on the left hand mixer side and the channel sel buttons will light up on all the channels that are assigned to the mix that is selected at the time you are holding the assign button.

So if your in the main LR mix mode holding the assign button should light the sel button
    on the FX return channel.

Now select FX1, go the layer that has you input channels, hold the assign button and the sel buttons should all light up, keep holding the assign button and now select FX2, are the sel buttons lit up? If not while holding the assign button go along and hit the sel buttons on the channels to turn them on.

When selecing any mix….FX in this case the faders become the send levels, on an analog board that would have be the aux knobs.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

If I were you I would try to rule out a hardware problem by doing a hard reset of the mixer and then use the tutorial…

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Well I can’t thank you guys enough. The problem has been resolved. Issue was that I did not have the FX return up on the main LR mix. Once I fix that issue all for FX’s worked. The reason why I was only getting one FX working was because FX1 return on main was up. Thank you so much for all the suggestions really appreciate the time you guys took to help me out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.