Fx not going through USB -B

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Fx not going through USB -B

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Aj
    Aj
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I am no expert in the field, but we are currently broadcasting services from our church, and I can’t seem to get any FX coming through the USB output from the SQ7. The audio is directly captured via OBS and then streamed from there.

My current setup is I use aux two on the sq7 to send the audio out to USB-b. Live speakers seem to have fx just fine when testing but online I can’t seem to get anything. Aux 2 is also set to post delay.

Would be great if someone could point me in the right direction, please.

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi Aj,

1) do you send the FX Rtn to that Aux? If not go to Aux 2 and look on the FX rtn Fader layer (Layer C by Default). You´ll need to raise the faders.
    2) Are the FX rtn assigned to the Aux bus? If not go to the FX returns, sekect one, go to the prosessing screen and make sure, they are all switched to on.

Hope, that helps.

Cheers,
    André

Profile photo of confusedSounds
    confusedSounds
    Participant

Hi Aj,

I was having a very similar problem as you since swapping over from a Mac to a Windows device for receiving the usb output for streaming. After much searching I discovered that the issue for me was that when installing windows 10, the privacy settings for the microphone was set to default no access. This meant that none of my devices were able to see the incoming audio, and even stopped it from appearing in the windows recording panel for some reason. I was able to get it working by changing the settings in “Microphone Privacy Settings”. Hope this helps.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I was having a very similar problem as you since swapping over from a Mac to a Windows device for receiving the usb output for streaming. After much searching I discovered that the issue for me was that when installing windows 10, the privacy settings for the microphone was set to default no access. This meant that none of my devices were able to see the incoming audio, and even stopped it from appearing in the windows recording panel for some reason. I was able to get it working by changing the settings in “Microphone Privacy Settings”. Hope this helps.

That’s helpful information but would not cause the issue that Aj is / was having.
    As Andre said the FX return just needs to be assigned to the mix that is feeding OBS
    and then brought up in that mix.

Profile photo of Aj
    Aj
    Participant

Thanks you Andre and Mike, it appears the fx is being sent to aux2.

I need to raise my faders well above the 0 mark for any of the fx to come through. 90% or more.

Not sure if there is a reason for this, as my master fader is maxed out otherwise I just don’t get enough pick by OBS from the mixer.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Since your are using aux 2 for the to send to OBS do you have it assigned to
    tracks 1 & 2 on the USB output routing in the IO set up menu?

OBS will just pick off tracks 1 & 2 for the audio input.

Profile photo of Aj
    Aj
    Participant

Thanks Mike,

It seems it is assigned. Yet I still need to max my master to get a substantial input into my jobs.

I have attached a few pics in case anything does set off alarm bells.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

That looks correct though a couple questions.

Do you want AUX 2 to be pre fade, with it in pre fade it will not follow
    changes made to the main mix.
    That said if someone is independently mixing the live stream feed via the
    aux sends then you would want it in pre fade.

Also do you want to send the selected FX2 return into FX1 and FX3 sends.
    That would be taking the FX signal and applying another effect to it, kind of like
    reverbing the reverb ect.
    I know that can be done to create some layering thickening effects but a little too
    much of that can be distracting.

Profile photo of Aj
    Aj
    Participant

Mike,

Yeah I wanted it to be prefade so could have an independent control over what’s going into the live.

I didn’t realise I was doubling the fx, how would I fix this please? It was not my intention.

So what else could explain the low gain in OBS from the mixer I wonder. Would some sort of plug-in at the computer side fix this issue?

Regards

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@aj

there are several places inside windows to set levels.

Have you checked them and tried raising those to get the level you want?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I didn’t realise I was doubling the fx, how would I fix this please? It was not my intention.

Go to the FX returns, select the FX send layers one at a time and turn down the faders on the FX returns.
    There’s other ways to do it but should be the fastest to get to for you.

You have to be careful because it is possible to send an FX return back into the same FX causing a very bad feedback loop!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

So what else could explain the low gain in OBS from the mixer I wonder. Would some sort of plug-in at the computer side fix this issue?

I assume you have the audio level turned up in OBS on the USB audio input source block.

Where are you running the Aux 2 master fader at? You can apply some more gain on the AUX out by bringing up some make up gain on the compressor, actually you should be compressing the audio going to the live stream with upwards to a 5 to 1 ratio anyway.

I have found that on OBS you need to running a little into the yellow on the OBS metering to get a decent level on the live stream broadcast.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@aj

make sure you have the level set high in all the places that windoze allows changes.
    then realize that obs may be acting like a DAW and adding another 18dB headroom making it look low.
    SOP with DAW is to raise the levels as needed because of this usual difference from a mixer to the PC.
    BUT make sure you have the windoze levels up. Those make a big difference.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

With regards to your lack of level to OBS, I notice that Aux 2 is assigned to DCA 3. Is this DCA set to 0bB?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

With regards to your lack of level to OBS, I notice that Aux 2 is assigned to DCA 3. Is this DCA set to 0bB?

Good catch!!!

I didn’t look that close to the fine print on the first image.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.