FX: Hall settings

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions FX: Hall settings

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of perage perage 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Hello!

For my purposes I mostly use Hall reverbs (Hall 451, or others) but I have some problems getting it sound good (soft, warm). It always sounds metallic, sharp, somehow not pleasant sounding.

Any ideas (maybe with those ‘expert’ settings) how to make it sound good?

Thanks!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I always change the diffusion setting first of all. Takes the boing and flutters out. Default is 12. Raise to 20. Make sure the LF filter on left is set down below 100. Some default to like 180. Not sure what the designers thinking is on that. Natural reverb or even artificial has more LF content than that. Adjust all the EQ settings to suit.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

This is great advice. Additionally I would add that removing some high end is also helpful for getting rid of that “Metallic” sound. Hopefully A&H will revisit their algorithms and make a much needed tweak. The reverb is very nice except for that metallic sound you are referring to.

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

@knga @alrod Hi, Qu FX algorithms, like GLD and dLive are derived from iLive.
    They have been used by leading engineers the world over, and indeed many of our friends in this community, who have praised their quality over and above the competition including some plugin manufacturers.
    What kind of material are you sending to the reverb? Why not send us an audio sample so we can have a listen?
    There are sever factors which could cause a metallic sound depending on the material and settings.
    We’ll be able to hear exactly what you are referring to and will be able to help you tame your reverbs.
    You could record it in Qu-Drive attach the audio file to this forum thread. 🙂
    Thanks.
    Harry.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

I appreciate what you are trying to say, but it’s not always just the material. I do not have these issues when using my other favorite reverbs namely, Relab LX480 and Lexicon PCM Native Reverb. I am not saying your reverb is horrible, but it is not (IMHO), as good as the ones I have mentioned. In fact, I use A Lexicon PCM 90 hardware unit when playing live. I guess it all boils down to taste. That being said, why not cater to those of us who like Lexicon reverbs and add one to the QU-Series 🙂

Listen to the reverbs I mentioned and compare them to SMR reverb. They are quite difference in terms of depth and dimension. Then there is that “metallic” sound. Trust me, I have tweaked and tweaked to no avail. I would love to dump the hardware reverb for live use, and then use the QU-16 as an all in one interface in front of my Pro Tools DAW. It would save CPU utilization by allowing me to use the QU’s effects. For me, the effects just aren’t their yet.

I do understand that the QU is for live use first and foremost. In that regard it is hands down the best out there in it’s range. Perhaps I am trying to push it past it’s limits for studio use?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I would encourage you to spend time learning how to adjust the various parameters to emulate your favorite FX units. You’ll gain a lot of knowledge of sound and acoustics in the process.

The tools are all there. Use them.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

with all due respect to everyone here…
    a digital console of just about any make or model currently, (and I have heard a ton of them) has not yet come even close to the hardware units like Lexicon 224, 200 and 480L, even the PCM 80 and 90 verbs kill anything in a digital console today.

I’m not saying a digital console could not come close, it’s just like all the midi keyboards on the market today, they just do not have enough processing power devoted to the reverb, equal to that of the reverb hardware units mentioned above, but,,, BUT….computers with programs like Altiverb DO in fact emulate and faithfully duplicate the sound of these beloved hardware Lexicon units. Ask Pat Metheny 🙂
    Althought the beautiful chorusing in the HALLS of the old Lexicons are hard for even Altiverb, Altiverb does manage to create the same emotional sound.

As far as world class sound engineers goes, I’ve met and heard the results of so many through the years and many of them can’t mix their way out of a paper bag.

I was running sound for,,,, well, I just will not name drop, but anyway, after the soundcheck was completed and the house was opened, the audio “tech” from the sound company tried to make me look like an idiot by informing me that I inadvertantly routed the digital delay’s output to the LEX reverb send. I looked at him and said, “it’s no accident, think about it, what would that do?” He could not tell me…. Who wasn’t the PRO audio engineer then? But I bet he could tell you what the signal to noise ratio of the mic preamps on that Yamaha console was… OH BOY!

Sorry for the sarcastic rant, but not all NEW technology can compare to some of the old stuff. And I do love the new stuff.

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

@dpdan @alrod I very much agree, those are some great classic reverbs, and I could list a few more! It’s true there are also some amazing reverb plugins out there, some of which I have used A LOT in the studio and live, but neither of these great sounding solutions come built in to my Qu series mixer and would definitely cost me a considerable amount more $£€! While there’s nothing to stop me using an analogue send/return or even USB i/o, it’s nice to know that I have some great sounding FX in the box. Sending a delay return into a verb is especially useful for softening out the harder repetitions of the delay, though I tend to use it very subtly. I wouldn’t say I’m the best engineer, but I’ve certainly managed to convey some emotion and nicely complimented the musical content using the FX in Qu. The world class engineers I’m talking about are Dave McDonald (Adele), Ian Barfoot (Pete Townshend’s Quadrophenia), David Millward (Morrissey), Oscar Soderlund (Ane Brun), who have all said great things about our FX algorithms.

@alrod – send us some audio so we can have a listen to what you’re referring to 🙂

Thanks.
    Harry.

Profile photo of DanZ
    DanZ
    Participant

Is it possible to send the delay out to the reverb in on QU PAC ??

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Yes.

Just treat the delay return channel like any other, and send it to the reverb. If you do not want a dry delay in the PA, turn the L+R send to “Off”.

Profile photo of perage
    perage
    Participant

Is it possible to route it there so that one can use the fader? I send unity on vocal channel to delay and control the amount ro return by fader to LR. If I switch LR off, then it seems I can’t control by fader the amount of delay to return?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.